BOCA RATON, Fla. – It was a sweet ending for its home opener as Lynn University's softball team used walk-offs in both games to secure a doubleheader sweep, 1-0 and 4-3, over St. Thomas on Friday afternoon. Mackenzie Wyatt played the hero in game one while freshman Mia Veliz starred in game two. In the circle, Kayla Sheffield tossed her third consecutive complete game shutout.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Lynn 1, St. Thomas 0; Game 2 – Lynn 4, St. Thomas 3 (8 innings)
Records: Lynn (4-2), St. Thomas (2-2)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 18-11 overall (last played in 2010)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- Sheffield (3-0) scattered six hits over seven scoreless frames while walking three batters.
- With two outs in the bottom of the seventh, Veliz singled up the middle. Wyatt followed with a triple down the right field line to secure the victory.
- Wyatt went 2-for-4, Veliz was 2-for-3 and Shayle Arenson was 2-for-3.
- Game 2
- St. Thomas plated two runs in the top of the third to grab its first lead of the day.
- Lynn responded with runs in the third and fifth frames to send the game into extra innings.
- The Bobcats scored once in the top of the eighth and Lynn answered with a fielder's choice RBI from Natalie Costero before Veliz drove home Grace Hastings with a single over the left fielder's head.
- Veliz was 1-for-3 with two runs batted in.
- Wyatt (2-for-5) and Shannon Johnson (2-for-4) recorded multi-hit games.
- Britney Purser scored twice.
- Olivia Saviskis earned the nod in the circle and allowed two runs on two hits with two strikeouts in three innings of work.
- Allyson Jameston (1-1) tossed five innings of relief, allowing one run on three hits with a walks.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Sheffield becomes the first pitcher since Aimee Murch in 2005 to throw three consecutive shutouts.
- Her string of consecutive scoreless innings is now at 21.
- This is the first time since 2017 Lynn has recorded consecutive walk-off victories (Mar. 14 – Lynn 3, Maryville 2; Mar. 17 – Lynn 1, Saint Leo 0 [9 inng.]).
- Wyatt has four multi-hit games through six games in 2019 after having four in all of 2018.
- Lynn is 4-1 in games decided by two runs or less.
Lynn has little time to enjoy the victories as it is back on the field Saturday, Feb. 9, for a noon doubleheader against East Stroudsburg. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.