BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's softball extended their winning streak to five after sweeping its doubleheader against East Stroudsburg, 5-0 and 9-6, on Saturday afternoon. Kayla Sheffield added to her record-setting start of the season by tossing her fourth consecutive complete game while snapping a late-inning tie with a two-run home run.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Lynn 5, East Stroudsburg 0; Game 2 – Lynn 9, East Stroudsburg 6
Records: Lynn (5-2), East Stroudsburg (0-4)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 2-0 all-time (1st series)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- Lynn scored runs in each of the first four innings while holding the Warriors bats at bay.
- The Fighting Knights scored each of their runs in the first two frames on fielder's choices.
- Natalie Costero drove in her first run with single in the third. She was 2-for-3 with a RBI.
- Shayle Arenson plated the final run of the game in the fourth with a double down the left field line. She was 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles.
- Mia Veliz was 1-for-2 with two stolen bases, two runs scored and a walks.
- Sheffield (4-0) dominated in the circle, surrendering just two hits over seven scoreless innings with five strikeouts and one walk.
- At the plate she was 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- Game 2
- There were seven ties/lead changes in the game, culminating in a four-run fifth as Lynn took the lead for good 9-6.
- Four of ESU's six runs were unearned.
- Olivia Saviskas earned the start in the circle and allowed six runs, two earned, on six hits with three walks and three strikeouts in 4.1 innings of work.
- Allyson Jameston (2-1) shut the door on the Warriors with 2.1 scoreless innings of relief with four strikeouts and one hit allowed.
- Eight of the nine starters logged at least one hit for the Fighting Knights.
- Mackenzie Wyatt set the table at the top of the lineup, going 3-for-5 with a run scored and two RBIs.
- Veliz was 2-for-3 with a pair of runs and RBIs.
- Sheffield broke a 6-6 tie in the fifth with a two-run home run, ending the game 1-for-4.
- Arenson added her third double of the day, going 1-for-2 with two walks, two RBIs and a run scored.
- Britney Purser drove in a run and was 1-for-4.
- Freshman Grace Hastings-Wydetic had a good day at the plate, going 1-for-2 with a walks, hit by pitch and two runs scored.
- Costero anchored the bottom of the lineup by going 2-for-3 with a pair of runs scored.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Sheffield has the most shutouts in a single season since 2010 (Callie Darlin – 4).
- She tied her win and complete game total for all of 2018.
- She threw a first-pitch strike to the first 17 consecutive batters
- Sheffield extended her program record streak with her fourth consecutive shutout to start a season.
- Her 28 consecutive scoreless innings is the most by a Lynn pitcher since Aimee Murch tossed 47 consecutive scoreless innings in 2005.
- Sheffield's five K's are a season-high and the most for her since fanning five against Flagler on Feb. 3, 2018.
- Veliz reached base safely in seven consecutive plate appearance in the last three games before a ground out in the sixth inning of game two.
- Sheffield's home run is the 10th of her career. She needs eight more to break into the top-10 in program history.
Lynn continues its 11-game home stand with an 11 a.m. doubleheader against Emporia State on Sunday, Feb. 10. Fans can watch the series live at LynnFightingKnights.com.