BOCA RATON, Fla. - Lynn University's six-game home winning streak came to an end following a 2-1 loss to Florida Tech in each team's Sunshine State Conference opener. The Fighting Knights mounted a comeback in the bottom of the seventh but Mia Veliz was stranded 60-feet away as the tying run.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Florida Tech 2, Lynn 1
Records: Lynn (8-3, 0-1 SSC), Florida Tech (8-2, 1-0 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn trails 24-47 all-time (lost three out of four in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lynn and Florida Tech each recorded six hits apiece.
- The Blue and White received base knocks from six different players: Kayla Sheffield, Shayle Arenson, Elizabeth Diaz, Sophia Devesa, Natalie Costero and Makayla Caballero.
- Kayle Sheffield suffered her first loss of the year (5-1). She allowed two runs, one earned on six hits over 6.2 innings with two walks and one strikeout.
- Allyson Jameston held back a FIT bid to break the game open in the sixth with two runners in scoring position by inducing an inning-ending ground out.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Florida Tech, which is second in the league with 25 stolen bases, was held to one swipe on the day.
- This is the first game Sheffield did not complete.
- Mia Veliz has reached base safely on all 11 games this year.
- Lynn's seven game winning streak, including six consecutive at home, ends. It was the longest winning streak for the program since 2010.
Lynn closes out its three-game SSC opening series with Florida Tech with a noon doubleheader on Saturday. Fans can watch both games live at LynnFightingKnights.com.