BOCA RATON, Fla. - Lynn University's softball team gave quite a fight to Florida Tech but dropped its doubleheader, 9-5, 9-4, on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Game 1 – Florida Tech 9, Lynn 5; Game 2 – Florida Tech 9, Lynn 4
Records: Lynn (8-5, 0-3 SSC), Florida Tech (10-2, 3-0 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn trails 24-49 all-time (lost three out of four in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Lynn took a 3-0 lead in the first and added to its lead with a solo home run by Kayla Sheffield in the third. FIT cut the deficit in the fourth with three runs but the Blue & White answered back with a run in the bottom half of the frame. But four runs in the fifth and two more in the seventh gave the game to the Panthers.
- Sheffield was 2-for-4 with two runs and one RBI.
- Natalie Costero was also 2-for-4 with a RBI and run scored while Sophia Devesa was 1-for-2 with 2 RBI.
- Allyson Jameston started the game and allowed five runs, three earned, on seven hits over 4.1 innings pitched.
- Sheffield (5-1) took the loss after coming on in relief, surrendering two runs, one earned, on three hits.
- Olivia Saviskas threw the final 2.1 innings, surrendering two runs on four hits with a pair of walks and strikeouts.
- Game 2
- The two teams exchanged leads in innings four-through six. FIT took a 2-0 advantage first but Lynn responded with two in the bottom half of the fourth. The Panthers scored one in the fifth only to see Lynn grab the lead with two in the bottom of the inning. Florida Tech retook the lead for good in the sixth with two runs and added cushion with four runs in the seventh.
- Sheffield earned the start in the game but was pulled after 2.1 innings. Jameston (3-2) took the ball in the third and went until the seventh, allowing eight runs, five earned, on nine hits. Saviskas fanned two in the seventh but allowed one run on two hits.
- Mia Veliz went 1-for-2 with two stolen bases and a run scored.
- Devesa was 1-for-4 with a RBI and run scored.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Veliz is a perfect 8-for-8 in stolen bases and is tied for fourth in the Sunshine State Conference.
- Sheffield is tied for the league lead with three home runs.
Lynn returns to the field on Tuesday, Feb. 19, at noon when it hosts Ave Maria in a doubleheader. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.