BOCA RATON, Fla. - Lynn University's softball team outlasted Ave Maria in a thrilling game 1 doubleheader in which Sophia Devesa drove home the winning run in the bottom of the seventh but dropped the second contest 2-1 on Tuesday afternoon.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Game 1 – Lynn 7, Ave Maria 6; Game 2 – Ave Maria 2, Lynn 1
Records: Lynn (9-6), Ave Maria (1-3)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 7-1 all-time (last faced each other in 2014)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Lynn led 4-0 after two innings but trailed 6-4 by the fifth. A two-run fifth inning tied things up and Devesa won the game with a walk-off single with two-outs in the bottom of the seventh.
- Devesa was 2-for-4 with a RBI and run scored.
- Costero joined her teammate at 2-for-4 but drove in two runs.
- Kayla Sheffield went 1-or-2 with two walks and three runs scored.
- Sheffield allowed three runs on six hits with a pair of strikeouts over 3.2 innings of work.
- Olivia Saviskas (1-1) came on in relief, surrendering three runs, all unearned, on three hits with three Ks.
- Brooke Pierron took the loss for the Gyrenes by allowing three runs in the final 2.2 innings of work.
- Game 2
- Allyson Jameston surrendered two runs on just four hits with six strikeouts. Her only runs allowed came in a two-run sixth for Ave Maria.
- Lynn scored once in the first and had a chance to tie in the bottom of the seventh but stranded runners on second and third.
- Shayle Arenson drove in the lone run in the first.
- Mia Veliz went 2-for-3 with a run, walk and stolen base.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Veliz is now 10-for-10 in stolen base attempts this season. She is now tied for eighth for a single season in program history and only seven back of breaking the school record.
- Her 10 swipes are also third in the Sunshine State Conference.
- Veliz has reached base safely in 14 of the team's 15 games.
- Jameston tied her career-high in strikeouts, matching her mark against Emporia State two weeks ago.
- Arenson's double was the sixth of the season, tying her for second in the SSC.
Lynn travels to Melbourne, Fla., to take part in the Space Coast Tournament beginning on Saturday, Feb. 23. The Fighting Knights battle Georgia College and Columbus State on the 23rd and then North Georgia and Flagler on Feb. 24. Fans can keep up with live stats at LynnFightingKnights.com