Viera, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team closed out its weekend at the Florida Tech Invitational on Sunday, dropping nonconference games to No. 3 University of North Georgia (5-0) and Flagler College (3-1).
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – North Georgia 5, Lynn 0; Game 2 – Flagler 3, Lynn 1
Records: Lynn (9-10), #3 UNG (15-5), Flagler (9-9)
Location: USSSA Space Coast Complex | Viera, Fla.
All-Time Series: UNG leads Lynn 5-1, Lynn trails Flagler 5-15
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- The Nighthawks' offense chipped away early while the defense and pitching served up a no-hitter. UNG scored a run in the first, second and fourth innings, before closing the door in the top of the seventh.
- Kayla Sheffield drew Lynn's only walk in the game. She also reached base in the first via hit-by-pitch while Shayle Arenson took first on a fielding error in the second.
- Sheffield pitched a complete game in the circle for the Fighting Knights, giving up five earned runs, 10 hits and four walks with one strikeout.
- Kylee Smith was dynamite in the circle for the Nighthawks, improving to 8-0 on the season with a 13-strikeout performance. She gave up just one walk in her second no-hitter of the season.
- UNG tallied two doubles and two triples in the contest while stealing four bases.
- Game 2
- Flagler plated two runs right away in the bottom of the first, with Lynn responding in the top of the second. The next couple frames were a stalemate before the Saints added an insurance run in the fifth.
- In the top of the second, Elizabeth Diaz knocked a lead-off double before Arenson brought Diaz home with a double to left center.
- Arenson finished the game 2-of-3 at the plate with the squad's lone RBI on the day. Mackenzie Wyatt went 2-for-4 on a pair of singles while Grace Hastings-Wydetic rounded out Lynn's hits with a base knock in the seventh. Diaz finished 1-for-2.
- Allyson Jameston went the distance in the circle, allowing seven hits and two earned runs while fanning three batters.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn already played Flagler in a pair of games this season on opening weekend, losing 3-1 and winning 2-0.
- North Georgia posted no-hitters in both of its games today (6-0 over Converse).
- The Fighting Knights had a seven-game winning streak earlier this season. They are currently on a five-game skid.
- Freshman Mia Veliz had her season-opening 17-game on-base streak snapped today. She had reached base safely at least once in all 17 games so far this season coming into today. She was also held without a stolen base after recording at least one in five straight games.
- Lynn's shutout and no-hitter vs. UNG were both season-firsts.
The Fighting Knights head to Columbus, Ga., next weekend for four games at the CSU Classic, starting on Friday, March 1.