Columbus, Ga. – It was a difficult start for the Lynn University softball team at the 2019 Cougars Classic as they dropped both games, 4-0 to Columbus State and 2-1 against Coker, on Friday.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Game 1- Columbus State 4, Lynn 0; Game 2 – Coker 2, Lynn 1
Records: Lynn (9-12), Columbus State (10-6), Coker (14-3)
Location: Cougar Field | Columbus State
Series History: Lynn trails CSU 3-10; First meeting vs. Coker
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Just a week after fanning a career-high 15 batters against Columbus State, Jameston (3-6) was back in the circle against the Cougars. In the second go-around the sophomore hurler allowed four runs on 12 hits with one walk and two strikeouts over six innings.
- Her counterpart, Darby Demarest struck out six with two walks while not allowing a hit over seven frames.
- Game 2
- Lynn grabbed an early 1-0 lead off a Elizabeth Diaz RBI sinle.
- Coker was able to capitalize on a pair of Fighting Knights gaffes, to score unearned runs in the second and fourth innings.
- Mia Veliz scored the lone run for the Blue and White.
- Kayla Sheffield (5-5) earned the nod in the circle and allowed two unearned runs on two hits over 3.1 innings of work.
- Olivia Saviskas was solid in relief, fanning four batters and surrendering two hits in 2.2 innings.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Diaz has driven in runs in two of her last three games.
- Saviskas' four strikeouts tied a career-best set twice in 2018 (last Feb. 22).
The Fighting Knights return to the diamond for the second day of the Cougar Classic with contests against Bellarmine (11 am) and King (1 pm). Fans can keep up with action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.