BOCA RATON, Fla. - Lynn University's softball team dropped its series opener to Barry 7-1 on Tuesday afternoon. The Fighting Knights look for their first Sunshine State Conference win as they host the Buccaneers for a doubleheader on Wednesday.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Barry 7, Lynn 1
Records: Lynn (9-15, 0-4 SSC), Barry (9-16, 4-3 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series history: Lynn trails 51-19 (won two of three in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- The two teams were knotted at 1-1 in the top of the seventh but allowed a pair of runs with two outs before an error opened up the inning for the Buccaneers to the tune of six total runs.
- Allyson Jameston (3-8) earned the nod in the circle and fanned five batters 6.2 innings, allowing eight hits and seven runs, three earned.
- Sophia Devesa went 2-for-2 at the plate.
- Natalie Costero drove in the Blue and White's lone run and was 1-for-3.
- Shayle Arenson also reached base twice, going 1-for-2 with a walks.
- Olivia Saviskas stuck out her only batter looking.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Jameston struck out at least five batters for the fourth start this year and the first time since her 15 K performance on Feb. 23.
- Jameston has doubled her strikeout total from 2018.
- Costero's RBI tied her for the team lead with Arenson (eight).
- Arenson notched her 10th run of the season and she is one of three on the team in double-digit runs scored: Kayla Sheffield (10) and Mia Veliz (13).
Lynn closes out its three-game series against Barry with a noon doubleheader on Wednesday, March 6. Fans can watch the game live on the Lynn Sports Network.