BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team was carried on the arm of Kayla Sheffield as the junior hurler tossed a pair of complete game shutouts in the squad's 9-0, 2-0 doubleheader sweep of Barry University on Wednesday. This marks the first back-to-back shutouts against the Buccaneers in program history while the 9-0 win is the largest margin of victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Game 1 – Lynn 9, Barry 0 (5 innings); Game 2 – Lynn 2, Barry 0
Records: Lynn (11-15, 2-4 SSC), Barry (9-18, 4-5 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series history: Lynn trails 51-21 (won two of three in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Lynn capitalized on the wildness of Buccaneers starter Andrea Johnson (2-7), who walked five, hit two batters and threw six wild pitches.
- The Blue and White scored two runs in the first, four in the second, two in the third and one in the fourth to earn the run-ruled victory.
- Mackenzie Wyatt went 3-for-4 at the plate with three runs scored.
- Elizabeth Diaz joined Wyatt with a multi-hit day, going 2-for-2 with two runs driven in.
- Sheffield helped herself out with a 1-for-2 day with two RBIs and two runs scored.
- Shayle Arenson reached base all three plate appearances, going 1-for-1 with two walks, one run scored and one RBI.
- Natalie Costero also drove in a run.
- Sheffield allowed just three hits with two walks and two strikeouts over five shutout innings.
- Game 2
- Lynn did all its damage in the first inning, scoring twice. Arenson and Costero drove in a run apiece with two-out base hits.
- Sheffield carried over her game one success into game two, allowing just one hit over seven shutouts innings with a walk and four K's.
- Diaz was 2-for-3 from the plate.
- Arenson and Mia Veliz scored runs for Lynn.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This is the first time in program history the Fighting Knights have shut out the Buccaneers in a consecutive games. Lynn did blank Barry twice in 2001 but in two separate two-game series.
- The Blue and White have taken the season series against Barry for the last four years. (9-3).
- Lynn's nine runs are the most against Barry since 2016 while the 9-0 win is the largest margin of victory over the Buccaneers.
- Sheffield leads the SSC with six complete game shutouts. She has three more than the next pitcher.
- Lynn's run-rule against Barry was its firsts since an 8-0 win against Kentucky on Feb. 22, 2018.
- Wyatt collected her team-leading seventh multi-hit game of the year. It is the second three-hit outing of the season and third of her career.
- Sheffield is allowing a mere 2.5 hits in her six complete game shutouts.
- Diaz recorded her first two multi-hit games of the season.
- Costero and Arenson are tied for the team-lead with 10 RBIs apiece.
- Sheffield's four strikeouts in game two are the most since she fanned five against East Stroudsburg on Feb. 9.
The Fighting Knights have little time to bask in their glory as they hit the road to battle Florida Southern for a three-game series beginning on Friday, Mar. 8, at 6 p.m. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.