Lakeland, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team rallied in both games of its doubleheader against Florida Southern to take the series following 4-3 and 8-4 victories over the Moccasins. Allyson Jameston and Olivia Saviskas were stellar in the circle as the Fighting Knights claimed their third consecutive road series against the Moccasins.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Lynn 4, FSC 3; Game 2 – Lynn 8, FSC 4
Records: Lynn (13-16, 4-5 SSC), Florida Southern (8-10, 4-8 SSC)
Location: Chris Bellotto Field| Lakeland, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn trails 48-20-1 all-time (Lost two of three games last season)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Florida Southern took a 3-0 lead into the sixth inning courtesy of a wild pitch, a double and a single.
- In the sixth, with the bases loaded, Kayla Sheffield singled up the middle to drive in Mia Veliz and Shayle Arenson. Shannon Johnson reached on an error in the next at-bat to drive in Sheffield and pinch runner Georgia Ohren.
- Allyson Jameston (4-8) got the win in the circle for the Blue and White. She pitched a complete game and allowed two earned runs on eight hits and struck out four Moccasins.
- Mackenzie Wyatt, Makayla Caballero, Arenson and Veliz also had a hit in the contest.
- Natalie Costero and Diaz both walked.
- Game 2
- Lynn carried over its hot hitting into game two, scoring three times in the first.
- After trailing 4-3 after two, Lynn scored a run in the fourth and put up a four spot in the sixth to clinch the victory.
- Wyatt set up the offense with a 2-for-3 performance including two runs, a RBI, walk and stolen base.
- Sophia Devesa also logged multiple hits, going 2-for-4 with a pair of runs scored.
- Britney Purser drove in two runs while going 1-for-2.
- Unlike the Barry series, Sheffield did more of her damage at the plate than the circle, driving in a run and smacking a double.
- Lynn outhit the Mocs 9-8 and stole six bases.
- Saviskas (2-1) tossed 6.2 innings of relief, fanning three batters and allowing two runs on seven hits.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This is the team's first win after trailing heading into the sixth inning (previously 0-9).
- Lynn has won three consecutive road series against Florida Southern. The Blue and White also took the doubleheader on the road versus the Mocs in 2017.
- Game one was also Lynn's first win this season after being out-hit by their opponent (FSC out-hit Lynn 8-5).
- The Fighting Knights' six stolen bases in game two tied a program record last accomplished against Miles on Feb. 11, 2011.
- Saviskas set a career-high for innings pitched in a game. After completing the fourth inning she set a personal-record for innings pitched in a season. She has now pitched 30 innings this season, surpassing her total of 26.2 from last year.
- With two RBI in the sixth inning of game one, Sheffield joins Johnson for the team lead in multi-RBI games with three.
- Arenson reached base in each game of the series and has now reached base safely in nine consecutive.
- With a complete game in a game one, Jameston is one CG away from tying her career high with eight set last year.
- Purser logged her second career multi-RBI game. Her first RBI tied the game while her second put Lynn ahead.
- Veliz's stolen base gives her 15 on the season. She is in sole possession of second all-time for a single season at Lynn and trails Danielle McNeill by one swipe.
- The freshman outfielder has stolen bases in two of her last three games after going nine games without a stolen base.
- Devesa sat in game one but recorded her fifth multi-hit game of the year in game two. Her base hit in the first snapped a 0-for-8 streak.
- Wyatt has hit safely in five of her last six games. She also recorded her first career multi-steal game.
The Fighting Knights finish their non-conference schedule with a doubleheader at home on Tuesday, March 12, versus Lindenwood. First pitch is slated for noon. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.