BOCA RATON, Fla. – A Mia Veliz sacrifice fly in the bottom of the seventh gave Lynn University's softball team a 3-2 victory in game two against Lindenwood after falling 9-3 in the opener. Olivia Saviskas logged her first career complete game and Shayle Arenson connected on five hits in the twinbill.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Lindenwood 9, Lynn 3; Game 2 — Lynn 3, Lindenwood 2
Records: Lynn (17-13); Lindenwood (13-9)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn trails 3-2 all-time (split series in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Lynn grabbed the early 3-0 lead against the Lions following a pair of two-out hits. Elizabeth Diaz drove in two with a two-out, two-run double and Arenson collected a two-out RBI single.
- Lindenwood, though, scored nine unanswered runs to secure the win.
- Arenson was 2-for-3 with a RBI and run while Kayla Sheffield (1-for-2), Diaz (1-for-3) and Britney Purser (1-for-3) also logged hits.
- Four Blue and White errors allowed the Lions to score seven unearned runs.
- Sheffield (7-8) threw three innings, allowing five runs, two earned, with three strikeouts and two walks.
- Allyson Jameston also suffered due to errors, surrendering four runs, all unearned, on 10 hits.
- Game 2
- The game went back and forth with Lynn scoring one in the third but Lindenwood responding with runs in the fourth and fifth to tie and take the lead. A sac fly in the sixth knotted the game 2-2 before Veliz's heroics came into play in the bottom of the seventh.
- Arenson was 3-for-4 and scored the game-winning run by sliding under the tag from a throw by Sam Dean in left field.
- Purser was 2-for-2, driving in the tying run with a sac fly in the sixth.
- Lynn collected 12 hits.
- Saviskias (2-1), who had set her previous career-high in innings pitched over the weekend at Florida Southern, went the distance with seven innings of work, scattering five hits and allowing two runs, one earned with two Ks.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Saviskas is now 1-0 with one save against the Lions having earned a save in last year's doubleheader split.
- Additionally, Arenson's 5-for-7 day surpasses her 0-for-6 outing versus Lindenwood in 2018.
- Diaz surpassed Arenson for an inning as the team's RBI leader before the junior second baseman drove in a pair of runs. Arenson now leads the team with 12 RBIs and 17 runs scored.
- Arenson was also a home run shy of the cycle. Her triple was only the second for Lynn this season (Mackenzie Wyatt).
- She is currently on an eight-game hitting streak where she is .522 (12-for-23) with eight runs scored and four RBIs with a .652 slugging % and .593 on-base %.
- Lynn's pitchers have tossed 17 complete games, fourth in the Sunshine State Conference.
- Makayla Caballero threw out two baserunners, the first time all season a Lynn catcher has thrown out multiple runners.
- The Fighting Knights record is the exact opposite of this time last year (17-13) when it faced Lindenwood.
Lynn returns to action on Friday, March, 15, when the team hosts Tampa for a three-game series. First pitch is set for 3 p.m. and can be watched live at LynnFightingKnights.com.