BOCA RATON, Fla. – It was another close series for Lynn University's softball team as the squad fell in a pair of one-run games, 5-4 and 1-0, against Saint Leo on Saturday afternoon. Kayla Sheffield belted her fourth home run of the year and Olivia Saviskas tossed her third complete game.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Saint Leo 5, Lynn 4; Game 2 – Saint Leo 1, Lynn 0
Records: Lynn (15-25, 5-13 SSC), Saint Leo (25-13, 14-7 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn trails 56-12 (lost two out of three in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Saint Leo scored first but Lynn responded with two runs in the fourth and fifth innings. The Lions then added four in the top of the seventh to secure the win.
- Mackenzie Wyatt went 2-for-4 with a RBI and two runs scored.
- Sheffield was 1-for-2, including a towering home run in the fourth to give Lynn a 2-1 lead.
- Shayle Arenson drove in a run while going 1-for-3 at the plate. Natalie Coster was also 1-for-3 with a run scored.
- Sheffield allowed 10 hits over six innings with three runs allowed. Allyson Jameston (4-11) took the loss after entering in relief of her teammate in the seventh. She allowed two runs on three hits.
- Saint Leo threw three pitchers. Rachel Bean (5-4) started and earned the win but was replaced by Sadi Avants in the fifth. Avants, though, was replaced by Bean after allowing two runs to score. Auria Mounts then tossed the seventh with Lynn threatening.
- Game 2
- An outstanding effort by Saviskas in the circle was thwarted by an error and passed ball in the sixth to allow the Lions to score the only run in the game.
- Saviskas scattered two hits over seven innings, allowing one unearned run with three walks.
- Sara Neuman (4-2) struck out four over 5.1 innings of work with two hits allowed. Mounts came on in the sixth and fanned two with one hit allowed for her third save.
- Wyatt, Arenson and Shannon Johnson collected hits for Lynn. Wyatt also stole a base.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Saviskas's six strikeouts is a career-high. Her start also marks the second time she has allowed only two hits over a seven inning performance (Tampa – March 16, 2019).
- The Fighting Knights lost each game in the series by one run. This is the first time in program history Lynn had lost a three-game series by one run in each game.
- Last year in Lynn's series victory over Barry, each game was decided one run.
- With two hits in game one, Mackenzie Wyatt reached 100 for her career.
- Wyatt's stolen base was the fifth of the season, nearly doubling her career total entering the season (three).
- Sheffield moved into a tie for eighth in the Sunshine State Conference with her fourth home run of the year.
- Her 14 RBIs is tied with Arenson for second on the team, one behind Elizabeth Diaz.
Lynn has a short week to prepare for its next three-game series as it travels to Nova Southeastern on Tuesday, April 2, for a 6 pm start. The series concludes on Wednesday, April 3, with a 5 p.m. doubleheader. Fans can watch the games live at LynnFightingKnights.com.