Miami Shores, Fla. – A hot start to the second half pushed the Lynn University women's basketball team out in front of Barry University on Wednesday night in the first Sunshine State Conference contest of the season, but the Fighting Knights were unable to hold off the Bucs down the stretch in a 51-47 setback.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Barry 51, Lynn 47
Records: Barry (2-1, 1-0 SSC), Lynn (2-1, 0-1 SSC)
Location: Health and Sports Center | Miami Shores, Fla.
All-time Series: Barry leads 29-20
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- First Quarter | Brekia Henderson corralled a Barry airball before leading the charge down court, moving the ball until Paola Vazquez Concepcion found Marta Oledzka inside for the first points of the night. Down 9-3, the Fighting Knights transitioned to a full court press, forcing a succession of key steals to bolster an 8-0 run and secure an 11-10 edge at the first horn.
- Second Quarter | Missed jumpers doomed the away squad in the second, but Shaunt'e Tucker found a way to sneak inside and clean up the glass. Tucker grabbed three rebounds in the second stanza - two on the offensive end - and led the Fighting Knights with nine points total as Lynn trailed 27-23 at the break.
- Third Quarter | The Blue and White came out of the locker room on fire, embarking on a 12-0 run solely behind the efforts of Vazquez Concepcion and Oledzka. Lynn cooled off, but didn't allow the Bucs to notch their first point of the second half until 2:22 remained in the third. Barry finished with four points in the period.
- Fourth Quarter | Lynn held the advantage until a turnover with under five minutes left to play in the game led to a Barry bucket. Vazquez Concepcion hit her second trey of the night to cut the deficit back to one, but the home side converted free throws to secure the win.
- Three Fighting Knights finished in double figures, combining for 72% of the team's scoring output (34-of-47).
- Oledzka shot 6-of-10 from the field for a game-high-tying 13 points and secured six boards.
- Tucker finished with 11 points with a 3-of-4 effort at the charity stripe while bringing down a game-high nine rebounds.
- Vazquez Concepcion hit two from inside to round out a 10-point performance and led the squad with two assists.
- The teams were even on the glass with 28 boards apiece but the Bucs outshot the Fighting Knights from the field, 36.5 to 31.7 percent.
- The Fighting Knights were held under 80 points offensively for the first time this season.
- Lynn's 77.8-percent (7-of-9) effort at the free-throw line is a season high.
Lynn will host its home-opener this Saturday, Nov. 19, when the Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish come to town at 2 p.m.