Atlanta, Ga. – Despite an explosive 21-point scoring performance from Paola Vazquez, the Lynn University women's basketball team dropped a heartbreaker in the final minute, 75-73, to Clark-Atlanta on Monday night.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Clark-Atlanta 75, Lynn 73
Records: Lynn (3-2), Clark-Atlanta (2-1)
Location: L.S. Epps Gymnasium | Atlanta, Ga.
Series: Series is tied 1-1 (last meeting - 1999)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- First Quarter | The Fighting Knights and Panthers started the game in a back-and-forth battle on the boards in an attempt to out-physical one another. Lynn won that battle, as they scored 10 of the first 11 points in the paint, then going on a 6-0 run to end the quarter leading 19-12 over Clark-Atlanta.
- Second Quarter | The Blue and White decided to put the foot on the gas, more than doubling the Panthers in points, 27-12 in the second quarter. Paola Vazquez was dominant in the quarter, recording 16 points thanks to four baskets from beyond the arc and two layups off CAU turnovers. Lynn led the contest 46-26 at the half.
- Third Quarter | Lynn built its strongest lead of the night, 55-28, with 8:04 left in the third quarter, but the Panthers would outscore the Blue and White, 29-10 the rest of the quarter, significantly cutting into the lead and gaining momentum in the contest. The Fighting Knights still held on to a double-digit 65-55 lead heading into the fourth and final quarter on the road.
- Fourth Quarter | The quarter began with CAU outscoring the Fighting Knights 16-5, taking the 71-70 lead at the 2:52 mark of the ballgame. Nina Guillaume was able to take the lead back at the line to make it 72-71 before the Panthers retook the lead 73-72 with 56 seconds to play. It was back and forth for the last few minutes of the game. Sydney Davis for CAU hit a jumper to give them the 75-73 lead with 10 seconds left to play, and the Fighting Knights were not able to respond before time expired.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- The Fighting Knights were led in scoring by Vazquez with 21 and had seven different players with six or more points for a balanced scoring effort.
- Freshman Janay Williams flirted with a double-double as she scored nine points and led the team with a career-high 15 rebounds.
- Guillaume was the only other player in the Blue and White to score in double digits, recording 10 points to go with four rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- Not only did Vazquez score at a high rate, but she was efficient, shooting 72.7% from the floor and 83.3% from three point range.
- Despite the loss and high-scoring affair, the Fighting Knight defense still showed tenacity by keeping the Panthers shooting just 38% from the floor.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Guillaume has scored double-figures in four of the first five games of the season.
- Vazquez put in five of the team's seven three-pointers on the night.
- For the fourth consecutive game, the team had all 10 players see the court.
Lynn heads to its second game of the road trip Tuesday night with non-conference foe, Tuskegee. Tip-off is set for 5:30 PM.