St. Petersburg, Fla. – The Lynn University women's basketball team fell to Sunshine State Conference foe Eckerd on Wednesday night, 78-49, in what was coach Julia Huddleston's first match up with her alma mater of the 2016-17 season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Eckerd 78, Lynn 49
Records: Lynn (4-3, 1-2 SSC), Eckerd (5-2, 2-0 SSC)
Location: McArthur Center | St. Petersburg, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads the series 25-16
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- First Quarter | Eckerd came out from tip and put it on Lynn, outscoring them 26-3 in the first quarter. Only one Fighting Knight, Shaunt'e Tucker, scored a basket for the Blue and White, and the other point came at the line from freshman Janay Williams.
- Second Quarter | After the first period, the Fighting Knights could only go up, and they did, outscoring the Tritons 14-11 in the second period. The main difference was turnovers, after losing the ball 10 times in the first, they only lost possession once in the second period, while causing three for Eckerd. Lynn trailed the home squad by a score of 37-17 at halftime.
- Third Quarter | The Fighting Knights came out of the locker room battling, and their shooting percentage went up from 12.9% in the first half to 40% in the third period. Lynn developed a 13-4 advantage in second chance points heading into the fourth quarter, but the squad was unable to stop Eckerd, who managed to shoot 71.4% during the same time frame.
- Fourth Quarter | Lynn managed to get to the line and shoot 4-for-4 at the charity stripe, and used lapses in the Triton defense to cut into the large lead, but there was no chance to mount a comeback in the time remaining. The Fighting Knights fell to Eckerd by a final of 78-49 when the clock hit zero.
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Brekia Henderson led the team with 14 points, and was the only Fighting Knight that scored in double figures. She also recorded three assists, a steal and a rebound to pad her stat sheet.
- Paola Vazquez and Mariah Penascino were next in line in the scoring column, recording eight points of their own.
- Shaunt'e Tucker, like every night, showed her hustle and led the team in rebounds with five. Three players were able to grab four boards each (Mahogany Hall, Penascino and Vazquez).
- The stat sheet was extremely balanced overall, as each member of the Blue & White recorded a point and a rebound.
- Lynn shot a better free throw percentage than Eckerd (Lynn – 12-of-14, 85.7%; Eckerd 13-of-18, 72.2%) during tonight's game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Lynn head coach Julia Huddleston faced off against her Alma Mater for the third time in her career and now owns a 1-2 record against the Tritons.
- Freshman Meagan Shanahan and Penascino were able to get their first career start in the Blue and White.
The Fighting Knights are hitting the road for the fourth consecutive game to take on Nova Southeastern, Dec. 10 with tip-off scheduled for 2:00 pm.