BOCA RATON, Fla. – Paola Vazquez Concepcion led the Lynn University women's basketball team with her fourth 20-point performance in five games, and the Fighting Knight defense locked down Miles in the 76-58 victory on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 76, Miles 58
Records: Lynn (5-4, 1-3 SSC), Miles (4-5, 0-0 SIAC)
Location: De Hoernle Sports & Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 1-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- First Quarter | The Golden Bears started off on the right foot, executing a 7-2 run from tip-off. Vazquez Concepcion left her footprint on the first quarter, scoring 12 points on 4-of-7 shooting, hitting two deep three pointers in the process. Lynn used five points off turnovers and six on the fast break to take the 23-21 lead at the end of one.
- Second Quarter | The Fighting Knights took advantage of open opportunities, shooting 50% (9-of-18) from the field, with 16 of their 20 second quarter points coming in the paint. The Blue & White withstood back-to-back baskets, when Mahogany Hall clawed for the offensive board and put the ball back into the basket to put the Blue and White on top 43-41 at the half.
- Third Quarter | The Golden Bears came out swiping, retaking and building a 50-46 lead with 4:20 to go in the quarter. The Fighting Knights would have none of it, going on a 12-1 run to retake the lead as time expired. Brekia Henderson recorded five of her points, and finished the quarter as the second member of the squad with double-digit points (12).
- Fourth Quarter | Lynn started the final quarter right where they left off, and outscored the Golden Bears 18-7 the rest of the way, as the Fighting Knights pulled away for a 76-58 victory, good for the fifth of the season.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Vazquez Concepcion led the squad with 20 points to go along with four rebounds to pad the stat sheet.
- Janay Williams had an efficient outing, flirting with a double-double, scoring nine points and hitting the boards with a game-high 10 rebounds.
- The Fighting Knights utilized their bench, outscoring Miles 28-15.
- The Blue & White had a size advantage against the Golden Bears and used it, outscoring them in the paint 46-30.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Williams came up in the clutch, putting up her 3rd-highest rebounding output, and matches her second highest scoring output of her freshman season in the Blue & White.
- Today's victory marks win number five for the Fighting Knights, surpassing the 2015-16 total.
- Vazquez Concepcion has now scored 20-plus points in four of her last five games.
- Brekia Henderson has put up double figures in three straight games.
Lynn hits the hardwood again tomorrow for their second game of the annual Boca Raton Holiday Classic. The Fighting Knights will go head-to-head with Benedict College at 2 p.m.