BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University women's basketball team used four double-digit scorers, and two double-double performances to keep the Saint Leo Lions at bay on Wednesday night, defending home court and never trailed in a game that ended with a final score of 81-72. The Lions got as close as three points with seven minutes left to play in the game, but Paola Vazquez Concepcion hit a deep three that seemed to be a final dagger in the enemy's effort. Vazquez Concepcion and Freshman Janay Williams both recorded career-highs in rebounds in the home victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 81, Saint Leo 72
Records: Lynn (8-6, 3-4 SSC), Saint Leo (5-9, 0-7 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads the series 29-18
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Brekia Henderson led the squad with 20 points, but she received help from Vazquez Concepcion with 18, Shaunt'e Tucker scored 13, then Janay Williams and Mariah Penascino added 12 and 11 respectively.
- Vazquez Concepcion not only scored at a high rate, but more than doubled her season-high in rebounds with 11 (previous high was 5 against P.R.-Rio Piedras).
- Freshman Williams was not to be outdone by the senior leader, and added a team-high 13 boards to go along with her double-digit scoring output.
- All converted three-pointers came from either Henderson (2-of-5) or Vazquez Concepcion (3-of-7).
- Lynn used their superior size to gain an advantage in this one, outrebounding the visiting team 48-28 on the boards.
- With high scoring, that means that good shots were taken on good ball movement. The Blue and White used this to their advantage, and more than doubled the Lions in assists, 20-9.
- The Fighting Knights have proved over the season that they utilize the scoring on the bench as well as their starting five, and that was the case again tonight as they outpaced the Saint Leo bench 17-1.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This win total of eight doubles the wins Julia Huddleston, and co. earned in the 2015-16 season.
- Vazquez Concepcion has scored 15-or more points in five of the last seven games, including the last four games in the Sunshine State Conference play.
- With this victory, the Blue and White are starting to feel comfortable and confident playing in the de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center, boasting a 5-1 record, with their only loss coming to Florida Southern in the final minutes.
- Only six of eleven Saint Leo players recorded points against the Fighting Knights.
Lynn returns to the hardwood in a short turnaround as they host SSC powerhouse, Tampa University on Saturday, Jan. 14, at 2 pm.