BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University women's basketball team faced the top defense in the Sunshine State Conference coming in on Saturday afternoon, and the Tampa Spartans limited what the Fighting Knights could do on the offensive end, downing the home team, 74-56. Paola Vazquez kept the Blue and White in the game with 13 first quarter points, but Tampa made adjustments and limited her to just four points the rest of the way.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 74, Lynn 56
Records: Lynn (8-7, 3-5 SSC), Tampa (11-4,6-2 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the series, 38-9
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Vazquez Concepcion keeps delivering for the Fighting Knights this season. She scored a team-leading 17 points today, and was on fire to start the game with 13 of those coming in the first quarter. She added three rebounds, two steals and an assist all while playing 38 minutes of game action.
- Shaunt'e Tucker was the only other member in the Blue and White to get to double-digits in the scoring column with 10 points to go with five boards, an assist and one rebound in 28 minutes of playing time.
- Mariah Penascino may have only scored two points, but she contributed in a big way on the boards, leading the Fighting Knights in rebounding for the first time this season with a season-high nine.
- Like they have done all year, Lynn was able to use their size and post presence to outscore the visiting squad in the paint 26-12.
- Tampa used the deep ball to pad the score, doubling the number of made three-pointers that Lynn was able to convert (12-5).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Vazquez Concepcion has scored 15-or more points in six of the last eight games, including the last five games in the SSC play.
- Freshman Jaylen Snipes, who lead the SSC in assists per game, has seen her minutes and role on the team increase. With 31 minutes played today, that is her 12th game in which she played at least 25 minutes on the hardwood.
- The Fighting Knights shot 29.6% from the floor today, the second-lowest mark in the season. The season low field goal percentage was 27.9% in the 78-49 loss at Eckerd College on Nov. 30.
- Each member of the Blue and White that saw playing time scored at least two points.
- With the loss, Lynn now puts another loss in the home record column and falls to 5-2 within the friendly confines of the de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center.
The Fighting Knights will embark on a one-game road trip, visiting SSC opponent Rollins on Wednesday, Jan. 18, at 5:30 pm.