BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University women's basketball team did what most could not this season, and that was limit the offensive opportunities for the Eckerd Tritons, holding them to 65 points. This is the third-lowest scoring output for the visiting squad so far this season. The Eckerd defense however was too much for the Fighting Knight offense, limiting the Blue and White offense and defeating the home team 65-40 on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Eckerd 65, Lynn 40
Records: Eckerd (15-3, 9-1 SSC), Lynn (8-9, 3-7 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads the series, 25-17
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Nobody sporting Blue and White was able to score in double-digits tonight, as junior guard Mariah Penscino led the squad with eight points on 4-of-8 (50%) shooting and four rebounds to round out her afternoon. This is the first game of the season that Penascino has led Lynn in scoring.
- Janay Williams continues to fight hard off the bench and was once again the leading rebounder for either team, recording 10, to go with five points an assist and one steal.
- Eckerd came in knowing they needed to limit Paola Vazquez Concepcion's touches, and they did just that, limiting the fourth-leading scorer in the Sunshine State Conference to just five points. The transfer guard was able to contribute to the stat sheet by adding three steals, two assists and a rebound.
- Eight of the nine players for Lynn scored at least one point, and every player who stepped on the court grabbed one or more rebounds.
- The Tritons, despite the low score, shot an efficient 45.7% from the field, while the Fighting Knights shot 29.1%.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Tritons limited the home squad to just three points in the fourth quarter. The last time these SSC foes met, Eckerd limited the Fighting Knights to just two points in the first quarter.
- This game was just the fifth time, and matches a season-low, for Vazquez Concepcion to score in single digits. (Tied for season low – Nov. 19 vs. Palm Beach Atlantic)
- This was the first repeat matchup within SSC play for Lynn this season.
- The Blue and White shot under 30% from the field for the third time this season.
- The 40 points scored in the game is a season low for the home squad.
The Fighting Knights will hit the road and goes head-to-head with SSC-opponent Palm Beach Atlantic on Wednesday, Jan. 25, at 5:30 pm.