St. Petersburg, Fla. – The Lynn University women's basketball team was assigned the No. 8 seed, and traveled to St. Petersburg to take on No. 1 seed Eckerd College on Wednesday night in the opening round of the 2017 Sunshine State Conference tournament. The Fighting Knights scored 29 points in the fourth quarter, but it was not enough, as the Tritons advance to the next round by a score of 70-66.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Eckerd 70, Lynn 66
Records: Eckerd (24-4, 16-2 SSC), Lynn (10-17, 4-14 SSC)
Location: McArthur Center | St. Petersburg, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 25-18
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- The Fighting Knights had three players score in double figures, led by Brekia Henderson's 17. Paola Vazquez Concepcion scored 14 (all in the fourth quarter), and Shaunt'e Tucker put in 10 points of her own.
- The Blue and White guards stepped up on the boards, as Tucker and Mariah Penascino had seven rebounds, followed closely by Henderson with six.
- The visiting squad outscored the Tritons in the paint (24-20), off turnovers (12-9) and second chance points (17-11).
- The Fighting Knights outrebounded Eckerd, 39-34.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn finished the year on a seven game losing streak.
- This is the second-straight year that the Blue and White's first round SSC tournament game came down to the wire.
- The Fighting Knights finished the season 0-3 against the Tritons, losing twice on the road.
- The 2016-17 campaign ended with a six-game improvement from Julia Huddleston's first season as the head coach.
With Lynn's loss, the 2016-17 season has come to a close. The Fighting Knights will quickly turn the page to next season as they bring back key underclassman from this roster and look to continue the improvement under the tutelage of coach Huddleston.