BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's women's basketball team opened its exhibition schedule with a victory over Ave Maria on Sunday afternoon, downing the Gyrenes by a final score of 65-55 at the de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 65, Ave Maria 55
Records: Lynn 0-0, Ave Maria 2-0
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Florida
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Paola Vazquez Concepcion led all scorers with 18 points, as she made five field goals and all six of her free throws.
- Jaylen Snipes netted 13 points and two assists for Lynn.
- Mariah Penascino tallied 11 points and a team-leading four steals and four assists.
- Kelsi Fizer and Janay Williams grabbed eight rebounds for the Fighting Knights, while Sydney Fields came away with four offensive boards in the win.
- Lynn's bench outscored the Ave Maria bench, 13-12.
- The Blue and White held an edge in rebounds, steals, and turnovers in the contest.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Newcomers Fizer and Fields both appeared in the starting lineup for Lynn.
- Juju Uloma, Barbora Zilkova and Meona Feather also saw their first action for the Fighting Knights off the bench.
- This is Lynn's second consecutive win over Ave Maria, the first coming last season.
Lynn is back on the hardwood on Saturday when it hosts cross-town foe Florida Atlantic University in the South Florida Showdown. Tip-off is slated for 2 p.m. at the de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center.