BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University women's basketball team trailed for most of the night on Wednesday evening, but came out on top after outscoring Eckerd 19-9 over the final 10 minutes of action to secure a 68-65 win in Sunshine State Conference action at the de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center. The Fighting Knights' first lead of the game came with just 44 seconds on the clock as Mariah Penascino put the team up 64-62 with a back-door layup.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 68, Eckerd 65
Records: Lynn 7-8 (3-5 SSC), Eckerd 11-5 (5-4 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads, 26-18 (Lynn's first win over Eckerd since 2015-16 season)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Three players reached double-digit point totals on the evening with Kelsi Fizer leading the way. The rookie totaled 15 points on 7-of-11 shooting with four rebounds.
- Jaylen Snipes scored 14 points off the bench for Lynn, marking the third straight game the sophomore has score 10 or more points. After reaching double digits just four times as a freshman, she has scored 10-plus points 12 times this season.
- Paola Vazquez Concepcion registered 11 points and a pair of threes—none bigger than her three-pointer that tied the game at 62-62 with just 2:22 to play in the fourth quarter.
- Penascino continued her steady play this season, adding eight points and six assists with a pair of steals for the Blue and White.
- Sydney Fields pulled in seven boards off the bench to lead Lynn, while Janay Williams had five boards to go with her eight points.
- After shooting 37.5 percent (12-for-32) in the first half, Lynn shot an impressive 46.7 percent (14-for-30) in the second half to finish the game at 41.9 percent overall. Eckerd, conversely, shot just 25.0 percent (3-for-12) in the fourth quarter after shooting 42.9 percent (21-for-49) in the opening three frames.
- Eckerd cleaned up on the boards, 44-32, but gave the ball away 19 times to Lynn's 10. The Fighting Knights had nine steals on the day while the Tritons managed just four steals.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights picked up a meaningful victory in more ways than one, as they came out on top against head coach Julia Huddleston's alma mater on her birthday.
- Lynn gets back in the win column against Eckerd after dropping all three matchups against the Tritons last season.
- Eckerd led 26-13 after the end of the first quarter, but Lynn held the Tritons to nine points or less in both the second and fourth quarters to overcome the early deficit.
- The Fighting Knights are 14-10 all-time in games decided by exactly three points.
- Lynn is now 6-2 at home this season and is riding a six-game win streak at the de Hoernle Center dating back to Nov. 20 of last year.
Lynn is back in action against Palm Beach Atlantic on Saturday in West Palm Beach for another SSC battle. Tip-off is slated for 2 p.m. at the Rubin Arena.