BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University women's basketball team jumped out to an early first-quarter lead and never looked back on Wednesday evening, cruising to an 85-65 win in Sunshine State Conference action over Palm Beach Atlantic at the de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center. Four players scored 14 points or more for the Fighting Knights, led by Paola Vazquez Concepcion's 16 points on the night.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 85, Palm Beach Atlantic 65
Records: Lynn (11-12, 7-9 SSC), PBA (4-17, 3-12 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads, 18-11 (Teams split season series)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Vazquez Concepcion's 16 points led the team for the 14th time in 23 games this season. The senior was 7-for-17 from the floor and grabbed seven boards on the night while handing out four assists.
- Mariah Penascino, Barbora Zilkova and Christina Potts each racked up 14 points, with Penascino coming up one rebound short of a double-double with nine boards.
- Zilkova shot 5-of-8 from the field and made a season-high four threes en route to her career-high point total.
- Potts tallied double-digit point totals for the second straight game after netting a career-best 15 points last time out. Potts has been lights-out from the floor the last two games, going 12-for-14 from the floor and 5-for-6 from deep over the last two contests.
- Jaylen Snipes chipped in on offense with nine points and eight assists, though she had her streak of 10 straight games in double-digit points snapped.
- Kelsi Fizer pulled in eight rebounds and added six points with a pair of steals on the night, while Juju Uloma had four steals and four boards on the defensive end.
- Lynn dominated the glass, outrebounding PBA by a 48-34 margin while the Fighting Knights registered 22 assists on 33 buckets on the night.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Lynn had 40 bench points in the win, its highest total this season in the category.
- With the team's 11th win of the season, the Fighting Knights have surpassed last season's win total of 10 and set a new single-season high for head coach Julia Huddleston.
- Lynn has now won nine consecutive games at the de Hoernle Center after opening the season 0-2 at home.
- The Fighting Knights outscored PBA in all four quarters on Wednesday night, the first time the team has accomplished the feat all season.
- Lynn is 5-1 this season when shooting better than 45.0 percent from the field as a team. The Fighting Knights were 33-for-73 (45.2 percent) from the field on Wednesday.
Lynn hits the road on Saturday for a 4 p.m. SSC matchup with Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach.