BOCA RATON, Fla. – A lay-up and free-throw by Kelsi Fizer with 43 seconds remaining cemented Lynn University's women's basketball team's season-opening victory 66-62 on Friday night. Fizer tallied a career-high in points off the bench and was joined by Jaylen Snipes in double-figure scoring for the Fighting Knights.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 66, Johnson & Wales 62
Records: Lynn (1-0), Johnson & Wales (1-1)
Location: de Hoernle Sports & Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: 1st Meeting
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Fizer dropped 16 points on 6-of-14 shooting from the field while adding seven rebounds and two steals. The sophomore forward started 1-of-3 at the free-throw line and finished 4-of-7.
- Snipes added 12 points and was a perfect 4-of-4 at the charity stripe.
- Sydney Fields scored seven points, grabbed seven boards, dished out a game-high six assists with two blocks.
- Dani Lozzi was an efficient 3-for-4 from deep, scoring nine points with three rebounds.
- Fizer wasn't the only big player off the bench as Janay Williams pulled down a game-high 10 boards and chipped in seven points.
- The Wildcats' Ayulo Tianna scored a game-high 20 points on 7-of-14 shooting with JoNale Gonzales-Smith scoring 16 points.
- Lynn shot 37.7% from the field, 42.1% from beyond the arc and 50% at the line.
- Johnson & Wales hit 43.9% of its shots overall, 25% from downtown and 75% at the free-throw line.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn improved to 18-8 all-time in season-openers.
- Head coach Julia Huddleston is 2-2 now in season-openers with the Blue and White.
- Fizer bested her previous career-high in scoring by one point, set last season against Eckerd.
- Fields six dimes is a career-high.
The Fighting Knights return to the hardwood on Tuesday, Nov. 13, at 5:30 p.m. when they host St. Thomas (Fla.). Fans can watch the action live on the Lynn Sports Network.