BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's women's basketball team opened up with an 8-0 run over St. Thomas and never looked back, topping the Bobcats 68-53 on Monday night. Dani Lozzi led all scorers with 20 points while Jaylen Snipes collected her first career double-double.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 68, St. Thomas 53
Records: Lynn (2-0), St. Thomas (2-2)
Location: de Hoernle Sports & Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 5-0 all-time (last played in 2009)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lozzi was nearly perfect shooting, going 7-of-8 from the field, including 3-of-3 from 3-point range, along with 3-of-4 shooting at the free-throw line. She was perfect until a missed layup with 3:02 remaining in the third quarter.
- She added seven rebounds and three steals.
- Snipes quarterbacked the offense, logging 15 points on 6-of-12 shooting, with 10 assists to only three turnovers.
- Sydney Fields was an efficient 6-for-10 on the hardwood for 14 points while chipping in seven boards and two blocks.
- Janay Williams contributed five rebounds in 13 minutes off the bench.
- Loie Webb also dished out four dimes.
- Lynn shot an eye-popping 49.1% from the field and 81.3 % (11-of-16) at the charity stripe.
- The Fighting Knights held Saint Thomas to just 28.6% shooting overall, including 28.6% from downtown. The Bobcats did hit 85% of their shots (17-of-20) at the line.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This is the first 2-0 start under head coach Julia Huddleston.
- The last time Lynn held a team under 30% shooting was against Coastal Georgia on Dec. 17, 2017.
- Lynn's 49.1% from the field was its best showing since Embry-Riddle (49.2%) on Jan. 3, 2018.
- Snipes 10 assists are the most since Mariah Penascino dished out 11 on Nov. 20, 2017.
- She is the first player to record a double-double with points and assists since Chelsea Patterson (24 pts, 10 ast) on Nov. 16, 2010.
- Lozzi's 20 points are a career-high.
Lynn returns to the court on Friday, Nov. 16, at 5:30 p.m. when it hosts Florida National. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.