BOCA RATON, Fla. – A Christina Potts basket as time expired gave Lynn University a 65-63 victory over 22nd-ranked Valdosta State and gave the Fighting Knights their first 4-0 start since the 2012-13 season. Juju Uloma led Lynn with a game-high 13 points off the bench and was one of four players to score in double-figures.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 65, Valdosta 63
Records: Lynn (4-0), Valdosta State (2-2)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn is now tied 3-3 all-time (lost 73-62 in 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lynn shot 44.1% from the field overall but took was hot from the field in the second half, hitting 48.4%.
- Valdosta hit 35.7% of its shots.
- Both teams were solid from the line with the Blue and White nailing 84.6% from the charity stripe and VSU knocking down 90% of its shots.
- Uloma led Lynn with 13 points off the bench, going 5-of-6 from the field and 2-for-2 from the line.
- Reigning SSC Defensive Player of the Week Sydney Fields blocked two shots and added 12 points.
- Jaylen Snipes scored 10 points with four assists while Janay Williams also scored 10 points on 5-of-6 shooting with six boards.
- Dani Lozzi scored just three points but logged a game-high nine rebounds and three steals.
- Kevyn McKae made her first appearance of the season, scoring six points on 3-of-5 shooting.
- VSU's Kayla Bonilla led all scorers with 19 points.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn opened up 4-0 for the first time under head coach Julia Huddleston.
- This is Lynn's first 4-0 start since the 2012-13 season, also the last time the team advanced to the NCAA Tournament.
- Fields had not scored in double-digits in her career prior to St. Thomas and now has reached double-figures in three consecutive games.
- Lozzi has three straight games of three steals.
- Fields is second in the Sunshine State Conference in total blocks (8) while Lozzi is second in steals (9).
- This is the Fighting Knights first win over a ranked opponent under Huddleston and the first victory against a nationally-ranked opponent since beating No. 12 Delta State 65-63 on Nov. 9, 2013.
Lynn begins SSC play on Wednesday, Dec. 28, when it hosts Palm Beach Atlantic at 5:30 p.m. Fans can watch the action live on the Lynn Sports Network.