St. Petersburg, Fla. – Lynn University's women's basketball team remained near the top of the Sunshine State Conference standings following a thrilling 61-59 victory at Eckerd College on Saturday night. The Fighting Knights 8-1 record is their best start since the 2007-08 season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 61, Eckerd 59
Records: Lynn (8-1, 2-1 SSC), Eckerd (6-4, 2-2 SSC)
Location: McArthur Center | St. Petersburg, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 26-19 all-time (split series last season)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Jaylen Snipes had a team-high 15 points while adding six rebounds seeing a game-high 39 minutes of action.
- Juju Uloma added 13 points on 6-of-12 from the field and chipped in five rebounds and three assists.
- Dani Lozzi shot 50% from the field and was a perfect 4-for-4 from the free-throw line for 11 points. On defense, she added three boards and three steals.
- Kelsi Fizer and Christina Potts had 11 and eight rebounds, respectively. Both Fighting Knights had two steals apiece while Fizer added seven points and Potts added four to Lynn's total.
- The Blue and White was 5-for-10 from three-point range in the first half, but both teams failed to make a three in the second.
- Lynn shot 34.9% from the field in the contest, while the Tritons shot 31.4%.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights are 8-1 for the first time since 2007-08. Lynn also defeated Eckerd for its eighth win in that season.
- This is the first victory for head coach Julia Huddleston at her alma mater. She had previously been 0-3 on the road against Eckerd and 2-1 at home.
- Two of Huddleston's three wins against the Tritons have been by three points or less.
- Lynn (2-1) is third in the SSC, trailing only Rollins (4-0) and Florida Southern (3-0).
- No team led by more than 10 points in the game.
- Lynn's 47 rebounds are the most in a regular-season game this season. The team had 49 in their exhibition game against FAU. It is the most since they had 48 against Palm Beach Atlantic on Feb. 7 last year.
- Lynn's 63 shot attempts tied for the most for the Blue and White in a game this season (PBA on Nov. 28).
- The single-digit victory snaps a string of three consecutive double-digit wins. The last single-digit victory came Nov. 20, over Valdosta State, also by two points (65-63).
- Snipes' 15 points tied her season-high for the third time this year.
- Fizer has reached double-digit rebounds four times this season.
Lynn continues SSC play on Wednesday, Jan. 2, when it hosts Saint Leo at 5:30 p.m. Fans can watch the action live on the Lynn Sports Network.