Melbourne, Fla. – Lynn University's women's golf team sits comfortably in second place after the first round of the Saint Leo Invitational but a duel will commence amongst teammates on the final day for the individual title between Jenny Ayala and Kristina Ortiz.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Location: Saint Leo, Fla. | Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club
History at Event: Sixth consecutive appearance, seventh appearance overall (won in 2013)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn fired a four-over par 292 as a team and trails the leader, host Saint Leo (287), by five shots.
- Starting the morning on the first hole, Ayala would birdie her third hole before a bogey evened her up on the fifth hole. The junior out of Bogota, Colombia, would go on to birdie four of the next eight holes to move to four under par but bogeys on two of her final three holes gave her a first round 70.
- Ortiz started solid with birdies on holes three and five and then sank a bird after the turn on No. 10 to move to three under. Only a bogey on the No. 14 was a blemish and put her into a tie with Ayala.
- Lucia Jimenez Martin shot a three-over par 75 followed by Samantha Barber (77) and Cristina Gutierrez (78).
- Jennifer Prendergast made her season-debut separate from the team. She was +4 after nine holes but turned it around on the back nine, where she shot one-under, to finish with a three-over 75.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Ayala has shot par or better in four of seven rounds played this season.
- Conversely, this is Ortiz's first round of par or better this young season.
- Prendergast's opening round 75 is a career-best.
- Lynn led the field in par 3 scoring (-2) and total birdies (15) and was second in par 5 scoring (E).
- Ayala and Barber shared the lead in par 3 scoring (-1) with Ayala second in par 4 scoring (-2) and Ortiz tied for second in par 5 scoring (-1).
- Ayala also led the field with five birdies.
Lynn University looks to make up ground on the final day of competition of the Saint Leo Invitational beginning at 10:20 a.m. from the first hole. Fans can keep up with live stats at LynnFightingKnights.com.