Dade City, Fla. – Lynn University's women's golf team came in second place after the final round at the Saint Leo Invitational, finishing with a team stroke total 586. Two Fighting Knights placed in the top-10, headlined by Kristina Ortiz.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Location: Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club | Saint Leo, Fla.
History at Tournament: Sixth consecutive appearance, seventh overall (won in 2013)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Host Saint Leo (571) took home the tournament title; however second through fifth place was only separated by four strokes with Lynn (586), Florida Tech (588), Barry and West Georgia/Flagler College (590).
- Ortiz led the way for the Fighting Knights, finishing in third place after shooting a 69 on the day, good for three under par and giving her a 139 two-day total.
- Not too far behind was Jenny Ayala, tying for ninth after knocking down 12 pars and two birdies for a 74 second-round tally.
- Playing as an individual, Jennifer Prendergast tied for 14th overall following a 74 performance on day two, giving her a 36-hole score of 149.
- Lucia Jimenez Martin posted a 36-hole total of 151 with Samantha Barber ending the competition with a 152. Cristina Gutierrez carded a 156 after shooting a 78 in both rounds.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Jimenez Martin (8), Ortiz (7) and Ayala (7) made up three of the top-five in total birdies over the 36-holes.
- Ortiz led the field on par 5 holes (-3) and teammate Ayala was third overall in par 4 scoring (-2).
- Lynn finished in the top-3 on par 3 (+5) and par 5 (-1) holes.
- This is Ortiz's first top-10 finish of the year while Ayala places in the top-10 for the third consecutive week and 10th of her career.
The Blue & White will take part in their final tournament of the fall season, the rescheduled GolfRank Invitational, hosted by Nova Southeastern on Monday-Tuesday, Oct. 24-25, at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.