Miami Lakes, Fla. – Lynn University's 10th-ranked women's golf team is in second place and only six shots off the lead after 36-holes of competition at the Barry Women's Invitational. Jenny Ayala is also second individually and one shot back of the leader.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 2nd of 15 teams
Location: Don Shula Golf Resort| Miami Lakes, Fla..
History at Event: Third consecutive appearance and fifth appearance overall (Second place 2009 & '10)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot an incredible one-over par 289 in the opening round and ended the day with a 587 total, six shots back of Rollins (581) and two strokes ahead of tournament-host Barry (589). Opening round leader Flagler (583) dropped to fourth with Nova Southeastern (595) in fifth place.
- Ayala played solid golf throughout the day with a two-under par 70 through the first 18-holes and a one-over 73 in the second round for a one-under 143. She is tied for second individually and one shot back of Keiser's Rebecka Holmstrom for the lead.
- Samantha Barber had an incredible opening round, firing a four-under par 68 before heading to the clubhouse with a 146. She is tied for 13th.
- Helen Kreuzer improved five strokes from round-to-round and ended the 36-holes with a 149, followed closely by Kristina Ortiz (75-75=150).
- Lucia Jimenez Martin rounds out the starting five contingent with a 154. Cristina Gutierrez and Jennifer Prendergast also competed separate from the team and logged scores of 165 and 167, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn's opening round 289 tied for the fourth-lowest total in tournament history and is a season-best 18-hole score.
- Barber tied the program-record with her 68, becoming the fourth golfer in program history to record that score.
- Ayala is vying to become the second member of the Blue & White to take top individual honors at the Barry Women's Invitational after Ortiz won in 2016.
- Ayala is tied for third in the field in total pars (29) and is tied for seventh in par 5 scoring (-2). Ortiz is tied for third in par 4 scoring (E).
Lynn looks for its first team victory of the season when it returns to the links for the final round of the Barry Women's Invitational. The Fighting Knights will be paired with Rollins and Barry with a tee time of 8:30 a.m. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.