Winter Haven, Fla. – Lynn University's women's golf team had a bumpy opening round of the 2017 Sunshine State Conference Championship and finds itself in seventh place out of 10 teams. Helen Kreuzer posted the low score for the Fighting Knights with a 75.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 7th out of 10 teams
Location: Winter Haven Golf Club | Winter Haven, Fla.
History at Event: 20th consecutive appearance (won in 2014)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot 311 on the first day of the Sunshine State Conference Tournament and is 21 shots back of the leader, Florida Tech (290). Barry (294) is second, followed by Nova Southeastern (295), Saint Leo (295) and Rollins (296).
- Kruezer had her ups and downs on the front nine with two birdies but a bogey and two double-bogeys. She settled down on the back nine to shoot an even par 36 en route to her three-over par 75.
- Kristina Ortiz is second on the team with a 77. She mixed in 11 pars and one birdie with six bogeys for the five-over par 77.
- Samantha Barber logged a 79, with Lucia Jimenez Martin and Jenny Ayala behind with rounds of 80 and 81, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Ortiz is tied for second in par 3 scoring (E) and Kreuzer is tied for sixth in par 5 scoring (-2).
- Kreuzer has also logged the sixth-most birideis in the field with four while Ortiz and Jimenez Martin have 11 pars apiece.
- Lynn is looking for its first SSC All-Tournament selection (top-five finish) since 2014, the last year it won the tournament.
The Fighting Knights continue play at the 2017 SSC Championship beginning at 9:10 a.m. from the 10th tee and paired with the University of Tampa. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.