Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. - Lynn University's women's golf team continued its strong play in the final round to take second place at the GolfRank Invitational. Jenny Ayala and Kristina Ortiz combined to shoot even par while Ayala earned a runner-up finish.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Result: 2nd out of 13 teams
Location: PGA National Golf Resort and Spa – Fazio Course | Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
History at Event: 12th consecutive appearance (second consecutive top-three finish)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn was one of four teams to shoot under 300 with a third round 299 to finish with an 898 total. Barry (894) posted the best round of the tournament, an even par 288, to jump from third to first place. Host Nova Southeastern (902) finished in a tie with Saint Leo for third while 36-hole leader Rollins (908) dropped to fifth place.
- Ayala began the day with a birdie but saw her fortunes reverse with a double-bogey on her fourth hole. The senior battled back to shoot two-under par the rest of the way en route to a one-under 71. Her 217 total was eight shots back of West Florida's Paloma Vaccaro (209).
- Ortiz had her best round of the young season with a one-over par 73. She kicked-off theday with eight consecutive pars before two bogeys. She closed with a birdie and three pars.
- Samantha Barber and Matilda Wahren logged scores of 77 and 78 while Helen Kreuzer added an 83, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Ayala's runner-up finish is her second consecutive at the Golf Rank Invitational and gives her 13 career top-10 finishes, ninth in school history.
- Her 217 total was one shot off her 54-hole personal best and the sixth-lowest in program history.
- Lynn was tied for second in the field in par 3 scoring (+10), par 5 scoring (+11) and total birdies (26) and was fourth in total pars (168).
- Ayala was tied for second in total birdies (9) while Ortiz was tied for fourth in total pars (40).
Lynn is back on the links Monday, Oct. 30, when it takes part in the USF Intercollegiate. For more information log on to LynnFightingKnights.com.