St. Augustine, Fla. - Lynn University's women's golf team is off to a solid start to the 2018 season as the team is in fourth place after the first round of the World Golf Invitational. Kristina Ortiz is pacing the Fighting Knights in the top-10.
INSIDE THE TOUNAMENT:
Location: Slammer & Squire Course at the World Golf Village | St. Augustine, Fla.
History at the Tournament: Fifth consecutive year participating (won in 2014 & 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot 312 as a squad in the 18-team tournament. Florida Tech (301) has a hold on the top spot ahead of Nova Southeastern (304) and host Flagler (306) while the Fighting Knights are just ahead of West Georgia (314) in fifth.
- Ortiz had the low score for the Blue and White, shooting a four over-par 76. The junior out of Puerto Rico was +1 at the turn but tallied two bogeys and a double bogey along with a birdie on the back nine.
- Jenny Ayala and Helen Kreuzer are one shot behind Ortiz with rounds of 77. Ayala traded two birdies with seven bogeys while Kreuzer stashed paired three birds with six bogeys and one double bogey.
- Samantha Barber and Matilda Wahren rounded out Lynn's contingent with scores of 82 and 84, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- As a team, Lynn is fourth in total pars tied for fifth in both par 4 and par 5 scoring and total birdies.
- Ortiz is tied for fifth in par 4 and par 5 scoring while Kreuzer is tied for seventh in par 3 scoring.
Lynn returns to the links for the final round of the World Golf Invitational on Monday, Feb. 5, when the team tees-off beginning at 8:54 am. Fans can keep up with the action live at