Windemere, Fla. - Lynn University's women's golf team shot a season-best 290 in the second round and is tied for fifth out of 18 teams after 36-holes at the Peggy Kirk Bell Invitational. Jenny Ayala is tied for sixth individually and was one of four Fighting Knights to shoot 74 or better in the second round.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Location: Windemere, Fla. | The Golden Bear Club at Keene's Point
History at Event: This is the 15th appearance at this event; Best finish 1st in 2014.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn started the day shooting 301 as a team, its third-best round of the year, before dropping its lowest total of the year, 290, for a 591 score. The Blue and White are 13 shots back of top-ranked Nova Southeastern (578) and fourth-ranked Dallas Baptist (578).
- Florida Southern and Saint Leo are neck-and-neck at 585 and 586, followed by Lynn and host Rollins.
- Jenny Ayala shot 74-70 for an even par 144. She is the only Fighting Knight in the top-10.
- Samantha Barber had her best round of the year in the opening 18 holes, an even par 72, and ended the afternoon with a 149 total. She is tied for 28th.
- Kristina Ortiz and Helen Kreuzer added second round scores of 74 and 72 while Matila Wahren improved seven shots to shoot a 74 in the second half of the day.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Ayala was the only Fighting Knight to shoot under-par on the day.
- This is the third round Ayala has shot under par this season and lowest of the year.
- In addition to Barber and Ayala, Ortiz and Wahren also set and tied their season-best scores.
- Lynn's 290 second round is its lowest score since posting a 289 in the opening round of the Barry Invite, a span of 19 rounds.
The Fighting Knights are back on the links for an 8:15 am shotgun start. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.