Windemere, Fla. – The conditions were perfect at The Golden Bear Club at Keene's Pointe and Lynn University's women's golf team took full advantage to finish with the lowest 54-hole total in program history and a third place finish at the Peggy Kirk Bell Invitational. Jenny Ayala closed out the event by tying the school record for an 18-hole score to tie for second individually.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Location: Windemere, Fla. | The Golden Bear Club at Keene's Point
History at Event: This is the 15th appearance at this event; Best finish 1st in 2014.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot a tournament-low five-under par 283 to move up two spots and secure third place with a three round score of 874. The squad was nine shots back of winner Nova Southeastern (865) and eight from Dallas Baptist (866). Saint Leo (881) dropped to fourth with Florida Southern (884) taking fifth.
- Ayala shot a four-under par 68, the lowest of her career, and ended the day with a 212 total, two shots back of winner Evelyn Arguelles of DBU.
- Samantha Barber finished with a one-under par 71 for a 220 total, one back of a top-10 finish.
- Kristina Ortiz ended the tournament with a one-over par 73 for a 223 total.
- Matilda Wahren continued to drop strokes off her score, improving by a total of 10 shots from the opening round to fire a one-under par 71.
- Helen Kreuzer shot 228 for the three rounds.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn's 874 breaks the program's 54-hole record by seven strokes. The 881 was set in 2014 at the NCAA Regional Tournament.
- In addition, the 283 is a record for the Peggy Kirk Bell Invitational.
- Ayala's 212 is a personal-best, the second-best in program history and two-shots behind the record score of 210 set by Ortiz in 2016 at the Barry U Women's Invitational.
- This is Ayala's second runner-up finish of the year and fourth of her career.
- Ayala becomes the seventh golfer in program history to shoot a 68.
- This marks the first time in program history two golfers shot 68s in the same year.
Lynn returns to the links on Monday, Mar. 26, when it participates in the Barry Women's Invitational at Don Shula's Resort and Golf Club in Miami Lakes, Fla. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.