Tucson, Ariz. – Lynn University's women's golf team sits in a tie for third place through one round at the West Texas A&M Desert Invite. Kristina Ortiz carded a three-over 75 to lead the Fighting Knights through the opening 18 on Monday.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: T-3rd of 17 teams
Location: The Lodge at Ventana Canyon | Tucson, Ariz.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights shot a 19-over 307 to land in a tie for third place with host West Texas A&M through the opening round. CSU-San Marcos leads the way with a 299, followed by St. Mary's (Texas) in second at 301.
- Ortiz utilized consistent play on the par-4 holes (E) to log a 75 in the opening round, placing her in a six-way tie for fifth.
- Samantha Barber was just a shot behind Ortiz, in a tie for 11th with a four-over 76.
- Both Jenny Ayala and Helen Kreuzer carded 78s for Lynn, locking them in a nine-way tie for 20th.
- Matilda Wahren is not far off the pack with an eight-over 80 in the first round.
- CSU-San Marcos' Jaime Jacob was the only player to shoot under par, carding a 71 to lead the field.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Only two players knocked down more birdies than Barber (3) on the day.
- Ayala's one-under mark on par-3 holes was one stroke off the leader.
- Kreuzer recorded 12 pars in the first round, tied for fifth-most in the field.
The Blue and White return to the course tomorrow morning, Tuesday. April 3, at 8 a.m. for the second and final round.