Tucson, Ariz. – Lynn University's women's golf team placed fourth at the West Texas A&M Desert Invite while both Helen Kreuzer and Kristina Ortiz earned top-five finishes. This is the first tournament of the season two members of the Fighting Knights placed in the top-five.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: T-3rd of 17 teams
Location: The Lodge at Ventana Canyon | Tucson, Ariz.
History at Event: First appearance
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights dropped one spot with a team round of 301, fourth-best of the day. Lynn's 608 trailed co-winners St. Mary's (Texas) and host West Texas A&M (600) by eight strokes. CSU-San Marcos (607) took third with Grand Valley State (613) in fifth.
- Helen Kreuzer tied for fifth after a four-stroke improvement from round one. Her even par 72 was the third-best score in the second round and the tournament.
- Ortiz matched her first round total of 75 in also tying for fifth place. She struggled on the front nine with five bogeys but found her footing on the back nine with three birdies and a five pars.
- Matilda Wahren and Samantha Barber matched scores of 155 to tie for 23rd individually. Wahren locked in a score of 75 compared to Barber's second round 79.
- Jenny Ayala rounded out the Lynn contingent with a 158 total.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn's +28 scoring on par 4 holes were better than every school but St. Mary's (+26) while the squad was fourth in both par 3 (+10) and par 5 (+10) scoring.
- In addition, the team's 101 pars were fourth in the field, just two back of St. Mary's, and their 21 birdies was fourth.
- This is the first top-10 finish of the season for Ortiz, who had six in the previous two years combined.
- For the eighth time in program history, every member of the Fighting Knights starting five has logged a top-10 finish this season.
- Kreuzer collects her second career top-10 finish and first top-five finish.
- Ortiz and Kreuzer's 150 is a 36-hole season-best.
The Fighting Knights are back in action when they host the 2018 Sunshine State Conference Women's Golf Championship at Osprey Point Golf Course starting Sunday, April 15. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.