BOCA RATON, Fla. – Windy conditions remained on the second day of the 2018 Sunshine State Conference Women's Golf Championship but Lynn University remains in third place overall and is eight shots back of the leader heading into the final round. Matilda Wahren, Kristina Ortiz and Jenny Ayala are all within the top-five individually as well.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 3rd out of 11 teams
Location: Osprey Point Golf Course – Raven/Falcon | Boca Raton, Fla.
History at Event: 21st consecutive appearance (won in 2014; 7th last year)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue and White shot one better than the previous day for a 301 total. Their 603 is eight shots behind leader, and top-ranked, Nova Southeastern (595) and six back of fifth-ranked Barry (597). Rollins and Florida Tech (614) are tied for fourth place.
- Ortiz carded the lowest round of the day for Lynn, posting a one-over par 73. She made 15 pars to go with one birdie and two bogeys. At one point she connected on nine consecutive par putts. She is tied for fifth individually.
- Ayala added a three-over 75. The senior out of Colombia logged a pair of bogeys but she drained consecutive birdies on the ninth and 10th holes, only to double bogey and bogey the next two holes. She is also tied for fifth individually.
- Wahren birdied her first hole of the day and made 12 par putts to go with five bogeys.
- Helen Kreuzer was solid on the day, shooting a five-over 77 and Samantha Barber was one-off her teammate with a 78.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Scores were much lower in the second round. Day one saw every team with at least one 80 in the starting five while five teams did not record an 80 or worse on day two.
- If Wahren, Ortiz and Ayala all finish in the top-five, it will mark the first time Lynn received three SSC All-Tournament recipients.
- Ortiz is vying to become just the fifth women's golfer in program history to be a two-time All-Tournament honoree.
- Ortiz's 73 was her lowest round since the final round of the Peggy Kirk Bell on March 6.
- Lynn is second in par 5 scoring (+8) and total birdies (15) and fourth in total pars (113).
- Wahren (+2) and Ayala (+3) are third and fifth in par 4 scoring
- Only Barry's Josefina Foa Torres has a better par 5 scoring than Wahren and Ortiz (E).
- Ayala's two birdies gave her five for the tournament, tied for second in the field.
- Ortiz's 26 pars is fourth in the field of 55 golfers.
- Round one saw one under par score while round two had three golfers shoot under par. Additionally the first two eagles were shot in round two.
Lynn will be grouped with Nova Southeastern and Barry in the championship grouping for the final round of the SSC Championship. The Fighting Knights tee off beginning at 9:40 a.m. Fans can keep up with live scoring starting at 7:30 a.m. and watch the 18th hole on the Lynn Sports Network beginning at 11:30 a.m.