Germantown, Tenn. - Lynn University's women's golf team began play and is tied for fifth after the first day of the NCAA Division II Women's Super-Region 2 tournament. Kristina Ortiz paced the Fighting Knights with a three-over par 75. The top three teams, and top-three individuals not associated with a qualifying team, advance to the NCAA Division II National Championship.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: T-5th out of 12 teams
Location: Germantown Country Club | Germantown, Tenn.
History at Event: Seventh consecutive NCAA appearance (1st appearance at Germantown CC)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue and White shot 310 as a team and are tied with Florida Southern for fifth place. Nova Southeastern (296) carries the top spot followed by Barry (297), Rollins (303) and Lee (308).
- Lynn started the day off well, shooting five-over as a team before the turn but a difficult stretch on the back nine pushed it down the standings.
- Ortiz is tied for 11th with a three-over par 75. She was one-under through nine holes until bogeys hit her in four of the next six holes. She closed out the day with three consecutive pars.
- Jenny Ayala is second on the squad with a five-over par 77. She traded five pars and four bogeys on the front, with bogeys on three of the first four holes on the back until a solid stretch of two birdies and two pars ended her day.
- Matilda Wahren and Helen Kreuzer both posted rounds of 79. Kreuzer led the way with three birdies but ran into trouble on holes 15 & 16, going double and triple. She ended play on a high note with a birdie on the 18th, the only Fighting Knight to post a red score on the hole.
- Samantha Barber was consistent on the front nine with seven pars and a pair of bogeys. She shot six-over on the back and headed to the clubhouse with an 80.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Only Barry (11) recorded more birdies than Lynn (9) while Wingate (+2) and Rollins (+3) were just ahead of the Fighting Knights in par 3 scoring.
- Kreuzer (E) is one of just seven golfers in the field to shoot par or better on par 3 holes.
Lynn is grouped with Florida Southern and Lee for an 8:30 tee time beginning from the 10th hole. Fans can follow live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.