St. Augustine, Fla. - Lynn University's women's golf team has the field of 12 schools looking up at them after 18-holes following an opening round 298 at the 2019 Lincoln Memorial Women's Spring Kick-Off Intercollegiate. Both Helen Kreuzer and Kristina Ortiz are within the top-five and in the hunt for the top individual position.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 1st out of 12 teams
Location: The Golf Club of South Hampton| St. Augustine, Fla.
History at Event: First Appearance
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn was just behind the lead after nine holes but surged on the back nine to shoot a 298 score, seven shots better than second place Wingate (305) and Carson Newman. There is a three-way tie for fourth among Newberry, host Lincoln Memorial and Coker (310).
- Kreuzer is one of only four players to post a red score as her one-under 71 is one shot back of a three-way tie for first between Carson Newman's Rachel Watts, Wingate's Warissa Puangcharoen and North Greenville's Savannah Hallman.
- The junior out of Germany is fourth despite a triple bogey. She drained six birdie putts to go along with two bogeys and one snowman eight.
- Ortiz is tied for fifth with LMU's Lise Malherbe after carding an even par 72. She traded three bogeys with three birdies. Ortiz was two-under on the back nine.
- Serena Nguyen is third on the squad following a five-over par 77 while Matilda Wahren and Amber Lee Svendsen posted scores of 78 and 80, respectively.
- Cristina Gutierrez played separate from the team and shot a four-over 76 to put herself in a tie for 15th individually.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Kreuzer is second in total birdies, trailing only Puangcharoen.
- Gutierrez tied her season-low round.
- The Blue and White lead the field in par 5 scoring (+2), is second in par 3 scoring (+1) and is third in par 4 scoring (+15).
- Lynn shares the field lead with Wingate in total birdies (12) and is tied for second with 54 total pars.
- Kruezer shares the lead in par 3 scoring (-2) while Nguyen is tied for third (-1).
- Ortiz and Kreuzer are tied for fourth in par 4 scoring (+1).
- Ortiz is third in par 5 scoring (-2) while Gutierrez and Kreuzer are tied for eighth (E).
- Wahren is tied for fifth in total pars (13).
The Fighting Knights will pair with Wingate and Carson Newman for the final round. The teams tee off from holes one thru five for an 8:30 am shotgun start. Live results can be followed at LynnFightingKnights.com.