St. Augustine, Fla. - Lynn University's women's golf team blew away the field on Tuesday, winning the 2019 LMU Women's Spring Kick-Off Intercollegiate by 20-shots while Helen Kreuzer rallied to take top honors individually. Additionally, this is the first career victory for first-year head coach Marcelo Huarte.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 1st out of 12 teams
Location: The Golf Club of South Hampton| St. Augustine, Fla.
History at Event: First Appearance
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn (594) started the day with a seven shot lead, which ballooned to over 20 midway through the final round. The Fighting Knights ended 20-shots up on second-place Carson Newman (614) and host Lincoln Memorial (614). Newberry (617) took fourth with Wingate dropping from second to fifth (622).
- Kreuzer earns her first career victory following a 36-hole score of two-under par 142. She headed into the last three holes one-over but birdied holes Nos. 16 & 17 to pull ahead of LMU's Lise Malherbe to win by one stroke.
- Kristina Ortiz would finish third overall after a second consecutive round of even par 72. She was two shots back of her teammate.
- Cristina Gutierrez had a fantastic day on the course. She posted a two-over par 74 to finish with a 36-hole total of 150, tied for ninth individually. Gutierrez played separate from the team.
- Matilda Wahren also moved up the leaderboard by tying for 12th. Her final day one-over par 73 gave her a two-day total of 151.
- Serena Nguyen was the final member of the Blue and White to compete and she shot a 157 total, tied for 23rd.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- This is the first individual tournament victory for Kreuzer.
- Kreuzer's 142 total is tied for the fifth-lowest in program history.
- Both Kreuzer and Ortiz have finished in the top-10 in four of the five tournaments in 2018-19.
- Ortiz moves into sole possession of 10th place in program history with 13 top-10 finishes.
- With her fourth top-10 finish this year, Kreuzer has doubled her previous total and now has six in her career.
- Lynn's men's golf team also won on Feb. 12, marking the first time since 2015 both men's and women's golf teams won a tournament on the same day.
- Gutierrez's 150 is a new 36-hole career-best. Her previous mark of 154 was set in 2015. Her two-over 74 was two shots back of her previous low set in 2016.
- Huarte becomes just the second coach in program history to win a tournament in his first season. The last was Danny Randolph in 2011.
- Serena Nguyen also set a 36-hole personal record total.
- Lynn led the field in par 4 (+29) and par 5 (+2) scoring and was tied for the lead in par 3 scoring (+6). The Blue and White also had the most birdies (23) and third-most pars (105).
- Kreuzer and Gutierrez shared the lead in par 3 scoring (-1).
- Ortiz (+1), Wahren (+2) and Kreuzer (+2) were second and tied for third in par 4 scoring.
- Kreuzer had four more birdies than the next competitor.
The Fighting Knights are back on the links Mon-Tue., Feb. 18-19, at the Lady Moc Classic at the Grasslands Country Club in Lakeland, Fla. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.