Windemere, Fla. - Lynn University's women's golf team posted its lowest round in more than a year and has three golfers within the top-10 to hold a nine-stroke lead after 36-holes of the Peggy Kirk Bell Invitational. Helen Kreuzer and Krissy Ortiz are second and third with Matilda Wahren not far off in a tie for 10th individually.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Location: Windemere, Fla. | The Golden Bear Club at Keene's Point
History at Event: This is the 16th appearance at this event (Won in 2014; Third in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights were tied for the lead after 18 holes but opened things up in the second round with a one-under 287 for a 36-hole score of 580 and a nine-shot lead over Saint Leo (589). Florida Tech (590) is hot on the Lions tails with Limestone (592) and Tampa (601) in pursuit.
- Kreuzer continued her stellar spring with rounds of 70-71 for a three-under 141. She is just one shot back of the leader Pilar Martinez of Limestone.
- Ortiz was equally as impressive shooting par over the first 18-holes before closing the day with a two-under 70. She is two back of Martinez and one from Kreuzer.
- Wahren is tied for 10th with a score of 146. She carded a 74 in the morning and headed to the clubhouse with an even par 72.
- Gutierrez put in scores of 77-74 for a 151 total.
- Serena Nguyen rounded out the starting five with a 168 score.
- Amber Svendsen played separate from the team and took in scores of 74-82 for a 156 total.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- The last time Lynn shot under par as a team came in 2018 at the Peggy Kirk Bell Invite. The Fighting Knights posted the lowest 54-hole score in program history 874. The team would need a 294 to match the program record.
- Lynn has finished in the top-five in all six tournaments this season with three top-three finishes, one runner-up and a victory at the LMU Spring Kick-Off.
- The Blue and White's 580 total is 14 shots better than its previous 36-hole total this season.
- Kreuzer has shot par or better in six of her last seven rounds (70.71).
- She is going for her sixth top-10 finish of the year while Ortiz is looking to place in the top-10 for the fifth time.
- Wahren is aiming for her first top-10 since the opening tournament of the season.
Lynn closes out play at the Peggy Kirk Bell Invite with an 8:15 am shotgun start. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.