Miami Shores, Fla. - Lynn University's eighth-ranked women's golf team is tied for sixth place after 36 holes of the Barry U Invite by ACF Pizza. Helen Kreuzer is within the top-10 individually but Kristina Ortiz and Matilda Wahren are within three strokes of placing inside the top-10.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: T-6th of 17 teams
Location: Don Shula Golf Resort| Miami Lakes, Fla.
History at Event: Fifth consecutive appearance and seventh overall (Runner-Up 2009 & '10, T-8th in '18)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn weathered a mid-afternoon storm to post rounds of 296-297 for a 593 total. The squad is tied with Rollins and four shots back of fifth. Florida Tech (573) is in a battle with host Barry (575) for first while Arkansas Tech is not far off either at 577. Keiser (588) and Nova Southeastern (589) are locked in fourth and fifth.
- Kreuzer locked down five birdie putts to go along with two bogeys and a double for a one-under 71 in the first round. She connected on three more birds in round two but also added two more bogeys and a double for a one-over 73. She is tied for eighth with an even par 144.
- Ortiz drained 16 pars and two bogeys in the morning and connected on her first birdie of the day when she hit her tee shot off her 11th hole of the second round and smothered it inches from the hole. Her even par 72 in round two has her tied for 14th with a 146.
- Wahren exchanged three birdies with two bogeys and 13 pars for a one-under 71. Her 76 in the afternoon has her tied for 19th.
- Cristina Gutierrez improved five-shots from the first 18 holes and has a 36-hole score of 157 while Serena Nguyen posted a 162.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Kruezer is vying to become the first golfer since Jessica Bradley in 2014-15 to record top-10 finishes in six of her first seven tournaments of a season. Bradley ended the year by placing in the top-10, 11 times.
- Wahren is tied for fifth in par 4 scoring (-1).
- Only Rollins' Jennifer Jung (32) has more pars than Ortiz (30)
- Kreuzer is tied for fifth with eight birdies.
- Lynn is third in total pars (123).
Lynn will attempt for its eighth top-five finish when it concludes the Barry U Invite by ACF Pizza on Tuesday, March 26. The Fighting Knights 8 a.m. shotgun start beings on holes 6 thru 8 along with the University of Tampa and Florida Southern. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.