Tucson, Ariz. – Lynn University's Helen Kreuzer joined some elite company following a six-stroke victory at the West Texas A&M Desert Invite while the women's golf team placed third overall. Kreuzer becomes the eighth golfer in program history to win multiple tournaments in a season.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 3rd of 17 teams
Location: The Lodge at Ventana Canyon | Tucson, Ariz.
History at Event: Second Appearance (T-3rd in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn (604) finished seven shots back of co-winners Cal State San Marcos and Grand Valley State (597), despite Lynn shooting the second-lowest round of the day. Host West Texas A&M (611) stayed in fourth while St. Mary's (614) jumped two teams to get into the top-five.
- Kreuzer was nearly flawless in her final round, sinking four birdies, 13 pars and one bogey for a second consecutive 69. Her 138 was seven shots better than Cal State San Marcos' Claire Hogle.
- Ortiz had her best day of the tournament with a one-over par 73. She started and ended strong with birdies on her second and last holes to tie for 15th.
- Matilda Wahren shot a 155 and tied for 26th.
- Serena Nguyen connected on four birdies throughout the day while mixing in six bogeys and two double bogeys. She shot a 78 and sported a 159 overall.
- Cristina Gutierrez rounded out the Blue and White contingent with a 160 total.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Kreuzer earns her second career tournament victory. She won her first tournament at the LMU Spring Kick-Off.
- Kreuzer joins Jessica Bradley (2013-14 & 2014-15), Maha Haddioui (2007-08), Ortiz (2015-16), Samantha Smolen (2013-14), Megan Mangone (2008-09), Katy McNIcoll (2006-07) and Natash Morgan (2005-06) as winners of two tournaments in a single season.
- Her score of 138 ties her with Smolen for the lowest 36-hole score in program history.
- Kreuzer posted two of the three under-par rounds at the tournament.
- This is the eighth top-10 finish for Kreuzer this season, tying her for fifth all-time for a single season in school history. Jessica Bradley holds the top-two spots at 13 and 11 with Smolen holding down third (10) and fourth (nine). She is tied with Mangone, Haddioui and Morgan.
- The West Texas A&M Desert Invite featured three teams in the top-seven and seven from the top-25.
- Lynn scored better than the field in par 5 scoring (-2) and only Cal State San Marcos (22) had more total birdies than the Fighting Knights (21).
- Kreuzer only held a two birdie advantage in total birds (nine) and a two-stroke advantage in par 5 scoring (-5).
- Ortiz joined Kreuzer among the leaders in par 5 scoring (-1)
Lynn takes part in the Sunshine State Championship beginning on Sunday, May 14, at the Lake Jovita Golf Club in Saint Leo, Fla. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.