Cleveland, Tenn. - Lynn University's women's golf team started play at the NCAA Division II South Regional Tournament and is sixth after the first 18 holes of play. Helen Kreuzer is tied for fifth individually after shooting a one-over 73.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 6th of 12 teams
Location: Cleveland Country Club | Cleveland, Tenn.
History at Event: Eighth consecutive appearance and 16th overall (played at Cleveland CC on Oct. 2, 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn struggled off the first tee, shooting nine-over par as a team through nine holes with only one birdie. But the team rallied after the turn and shot 301 total, just seven shots back of the leader Florida Tech (294). Saint Leo (295) is second, Nova Southeastern (297) third and Florida Southern and Limestone (298) are tied for fourth.
- Kreuzer began the day with bogeys on three of her first four holes but shot two-under par golf the remainder of the day with three birdies and one bogey. Her 73 is five shots back of the leader, Lucy Eaton of Florida Tech.
- Kristina Ortiz, Matilda Wahren and Amber Lee Svendsen each collected scores of 76, and are tied for 27th.
- Ortiz was three-over through nine and added two bogeys and a birdie on the back nine.
- Wahren was two-over on both the front and back nines with two bogeys and seven pars through the first nine holes and three bogeys and a birdie over her final nine.
- Svendsen was two-under through 15 holes but a double-bogey on No. 18 brought her into the three-way time with her teammates.
- Cristina Gutierrez posted an 82, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- The top four teams, and four individuals from non-qualifying teams, advance to the NCAA Division II National Championship.
- Svendsen's 76 is her second-lowest score of the year. This also marks the first time her score has counted in the top four.
- Gutierrez is making her first NCAA Tournament appearance since her freshman year.
- A top-10 finish for Kreuzer would give her nine on the season, which would tie her for fourth for a single-season at Lynn.
Lynn tees off the second round beginning at 9:30 am from hole No. 10 while paired with Barry and Nova Southeastern. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.