Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. – Scores were higher all around but that didn't stop Lynn University's seventh-ranked women's golf team from moving up the leaderboard into a tie for fifth place at the NCAA Division II National Championship. The top eight teams after the third round move on to match play for the national title.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 7th out of 16 teams
Location: PGA National – Champions Course| Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
History at Event: Fifth NCAA National Championship Appearance (Won 2013 & 104)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot 313 as a team for a 622 total through 36-holes. Indianapolis (605) has the lead ahead of Barry (610), Cal-State San Marcos (613), Florida Tech (618), Lynn, Dallas Baptist (622), Southwest Oklahoma State (622) and Limestone (623).
- Helen Kreuzer shot the low round of the Blue and White, improving three strokes from the first round for a four-over par 77. Only a double-bogey on the third hole dampened her front nine score while the back saw her scatter two birdies, two bogeys and a double bogey.
- Kristina Ortiz and Cristina Gutierrez matched scores for the second consecutive day, posting scores of 78.
- Ortiz was just one-over thru nine holes but ran into some trouble on hole No. 12 and then again on No. 15, the start of the Bear Trap. A birdie on No. 16 brought her to three over but a double bogey on the last hole ended her day.
- Gutierrez had six bogeys through 14 holes only to go one-under the remainder of the way, including navigating the Bear Trap one-under par.
- Matilda Wahren and Amber Svendsen closed out Lynn's scoring with rounds of 80 and 84, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Only two teams from the top-half of the leaderboard shot better than their first round scores: Indianapolis and Florida Tech.
- Lynn is in the middle of the pack to advance to match play.
- The Fighting Knights are fourth in par 4 scoring (+34) and total pars (104).
- Only three golfers are ahead of Wahren in par 3 scoring (-3).
- Only four golfers in the field of 95 are at par or better for the tournament.
Lynn tees off for the final stroke play round of the NCAA Division II National Championship beginning at 9 a.m. from hole No. 1. The Fighting Knights are paired with Florida Tech and Dallas Baptist. Fans can keep up with hole-by-hole live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.