Carmel, Ind. - Lynn University's women's golf team is in fifth place after the first 36 holes but Helen Kreuzer has a three-stroke lead heading into the final round of the UIndy Fall Invitational. Kreuzer set a program and course record by shooting a seven-under par 65 in the second round.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standings: 5th out of 15 teams
Location: Prairie View Golf Club | Camel, Ind.
Par / Yardage: 72 / 6,147
History at Event: First appearance
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot 307 in the opening round but improved 15-strokes in the latter half of the day for a 292. The squad's 599 is one shot behind Limestone (598) for fourth and two shots ahead of Barry (601) in sixth.
- Saint Leo has the overall lead at 581 with Findlay (584) second and host Indianapolis (590) in third.
- Kreuzer has the overall lead at six-under par. She logged a one-over 73 in the morning before her historic second round. The Bensheim, Germany, product bookended her morning with four birdies but mixed in five bogeys in-between. In the afternoon, Kreuzer connected on eight birdie putts for a nearly flawless scorecard, the one blemish being a bogey on hole No. 10.
- Matilda Wahren is just within the top-10 with consecutive rounds of 73. She traded two birdies with three bogeys in the morning and one birdie and two bogeys in the afternoon.
- Amber Lee Svendsen shot 80-75 for a 155 total. Her 75 included a clean back nine with two birdies and seven pars.
- Sophomore Camila Ugalde and freshman Honor Keilty made their Blue and White debuts with Ugalde scoring 81-79=60 and Keilty shooting 83-82=165.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Kreuzer's 65 set a new competitive course record for women at the Prairie View GC and tied the overall competitive course record.
- Her 65 also bested teammate Matilda' Wahren's previous program-record low 66, set this past March.
- Kreuzer is now the only golfer in program history with three rounds of 68 or better. She was previously tied with Jessica Bradley, who had two rounds of 68.
- Kreuzer is also going for her fourth tournament victory, which would give her sole possession of second place behind Bradley's seven wins.
The Fighting Knights start the final round at 8:45 am CT paired with Limestone and Barry. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.