Camel, Ind. - Lynn University women's golfer Helen Kreuzer secured herself as one of the top golfers in the nation following a record-breaking individual victory at the UIndy Fall Invitational. The Fighting Knights tied for third as a team but it was Kreuzer who made headlines with a 54-hole program and tournament-record total of 207.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standings: T-3rd out of 15 teams
Location: Prairie View Golf Club | Camel, Ind.
Par / Yardage: 72 / 6,147
History at Event: First appearance
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn's final round 297 pushed its 54-hole total to 896, 13 shots back of host and winner Indianapolis (883). Findlay (889) claimed second while Saint Leo (896) dropped into a tie for third and Barry (902) snuck into fifth place.
- Kreuzer was nearly as dominant in the final round. She led off the day with seven consecutive pars before birdies on two of her next three holes. A bogey on her 11th hole was the only mistake as she closed out play with birdies on two of her final three holes. Her 207 was 10-shots better than Indianapolis' Hunter Nugent (217) and Pilar Echeverria.
- Matilda Wahren had to work for her even par 72 in tying for fourth place individually with a 218 total. She started the day with a double-bogey, birdied her second hole and then bogeyed her fourth to move to two-over. Wahren then played three-under par the rest of the way until a bogey on her final hole.
- Amber Lee Svendsen finished her 54-holes strong with a four-over par 76, which included 15 pars. She ended play with a 231 total.
- Camila Ugalde and Honor Keilty closed out with identical 80s to post final scores of 240 and 245, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Kreuzer's 207 bested the previous record held by Kristina Ortiz by three strokes. Her total is five-shots better than her previous low.
- This is her fourth career victory, giving her sole possession of second place. Jessica Bradley is the program leader with seven wins.
- Kreuzer's 54-hole total is also a tournament record.
- Lynn was second in par 4 (+38) and par 5 (+3) scoring and third in total birdies.
- Svenden missed out on tying her 54-hole best by one shot.
- Both Ugalde and Keilty were making their Fighting Knights debuts.
Lynn is back on the links at the Hatter Classic beginning Monday, Oct. 7, at the Alaqua Country Club in Orlando, Fla. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.