Newberry, S.C. – A scoreless tie was broken in the 87th minute as the Lynn University women's soccer team tallied the only goal of the game on an eight-yard shot from Valentina Pedretti. Jamie Perriello assisted on the score, which was Pedretti's first career game-winning goal.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 1, Newberry 0
Records: Lynn (2-2), Newberry (1-3)
Location: Smith Road Complex | Newberry, S.C.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 3-0 (Last meeting: 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Pedretti notched the only goal of the game and her second of the season in the 87th minute, finishing a ball from the left side to put the Fighting Knights on top.
- Perriello's assist on the game-winning goal was her second helper of the year.
- Alexa Downie earned her second win and second shutout of the season, stopping all seven shots that she faced in the contest.
- Perriello and Ida Langer each registered a team-leading two shots on goal in the victory.
- Newberry outshot the Blue and White 18-13 overall, while both teams put seven shots on goal.
- Each team had one player hit with a yellow card in the second half.
- Both teams received three corner kicks in the contest.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The clean sheet was the eighth of Downie's career.
- This is the second consecutive year that Lynn has defeated Newberry by a 1-0 result to improve its record to 2-2.
- Each of the Fighting Knights' four games this season have been a shutout by the victorious team.
- The Blue and White have now outscored opponents 8-4 through four games this season.
Lynn is scheduled to return home on Wednesday to face Ave Maria at 6 p.m. For the latest updates on the schedule, visit www.LynnFightingKnights.com.