Charlotte, N.C. – The Lynn University women's soccer team kicked off its 2018 season with a narrow victory on Thursday night, dueling both Queens University and the weather to a 3-2 final in Charlotte, N.C. Morgan Meltzer tallied the game-winning goal for Lynn in the 66th minute, while Molly Bryans and Donish Henry-Cole registered scores in the opening half. Lina Lundgren and Gabriela Lopez combined for 10 saves in net while Lopez picked up the first victory of her collegiate career.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, Queens (N.C.) 2
Records: Lynn 1-0-0, Queens 0-1-0
Location: Queens Sports Complex | Charlotte, North Carolina
All-Time Series: Lynn leads, 6-0-0 (Last met in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Bryans opened the scoring in the 10th minute of play, giving Lynn its first lead of the season in quick fashion. Emily Weisberg registered her first of two assists on the day, helping put the Blue and White up 1-0 early on.
- Henry-Cole doubled the Fighting Knights' lead to 2-0 in the 41st minute with an assist from Monica Rojas.
- Meltzer's game-winning goal came in the 66th minute as Weisberg tallied her second helper of the evening.
- Lina Lundgren got the nod in goal to start the evening, making three saves in 45 minutes of action. Gabriela Lopez started the second half between the pipes, stopping seven shots while earning the win in net.
- Queens outshot Lynn 23-7 overall and 13-6 on goal, though the Fighting Knights held an edge in corner kicks, 8-7, and each team committed five fouls.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The game endured a 90 minute rain delay early in the second half while the score was tied, 2-2.
- Both Bryans and Meltzer registered their first career goals in the victory.
- Henry-Cole's goal was the 21st of her career and gives her 50 career points.
- Lynn's eight corner kicks matched 2017's season-high total for a single game.
- Lynn is now 3-2 in season-openers under head coach Cally Morrill.
- The Fighting Knights were victorious the last time these two squads met on opening night in 2016, downing Queens 2-0 in Boca Raton.
Lynn wraps up its two-game swing in North Carolina with a match at Lees-McRae on Saturday. Kick-off is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.